Using Cookie Cutters to Cut Wax?

Shirlee

Hello! I'm new to this forum. I live in central Kentucky. I just recently became interested in learning to make wax tarts & ornaments. I thought there'd be nothing to it ... get some wax, get some fragrance, melt it together & pour it in a mold ... but I must admit that at this point I am more than a little concerned! I've been looking over some posts here & it seems a lot more complicated than that! I've bought some wax & I've bought some molds & I've bought some fragrances & I'm thinking "What have I gotten myself into?!?!?"

I'm probably jumping the gun here but what got me interested in all of this is mainly some wax ornaments I saw at a gift shop. They appeared to have been cut from cookie cutters & then coated with something that looked kind of like cinnamon or ??? I just fell in love with them! I asked the shop owner if she had any information on how they were made but all she knew was that they were wax. They were totally flat on both sides as if someone maybe put a layer of wax in a cookie sheet with sides on it & then somehow cut out the shapes. Can this be done?

Blessings,

Shirlee

ive done this with IGI 4625 wax..

Its almost the same as makig chunks for candles.. you pour in a cookie sheet and wait for the wax to cool... I would push slighty on the wax to judge when the best time was to push the cookie cutters in.

I sprinkled cinnamon and glitter on the top.

hope this helps

Thanks miniiB! I'm guessing I don't need to warm the cookie cutter slightly but instead kind of "poke" the wax sheet to see if the cookie cutter will easily go through? The wax ornaments I saw at the gift shop actually seemed to have perhaps "melted" a bit on the edges which is what makes me wonder if the person who made them warmed the cookie cutter before cutting through the wax?

Blessings,

Shirlee

Yes! I do it all the time. Spray your cookie sheet and your cutter with Pam. it takes awhile to figure out just when to cut the shapes. If the wax is too cool, it's a pain to cut - too warm and they fall apart. But you'll get the hang of it quickly! Have fun!

Thank you everyone! I purchased 10 pounds of soy wax for pillars, tarts, & votives. Hopefully it's the right stuff : ) I want to try using bees wax at some point but was told it's probably too soft for this sort of thing.

Blessings,

Shirlee