464 wax

Hi there, we have used both 415 and 464 soy, both quite successfully. Over time however we have experimented with blending and now use a custom blend of 464 and non crystalising container palm. This gives me a lower melt point overall and for most fragrances a perfect burn, with absolutly no hangup or residue on the jar sides.

We use primarliy 10 oz apothecary jars with a 4" diameter.

Prior to blending with the palm we used 100% 464 and also had good results for most scents. I just prefer the burn and the look with the palm blended in, less frosting and next to no wet spots.

Get a sample and test. You will find that pour temperature is very important, and some scents and colours with frost more than others. I have also found that I get almost no wet spots when I pour into clear glass, and get quite visible wet spots when poured into frosted glass, go figure.

HTH

Richard

Hello.

I've only used gb464, so I might be a little biased. I have found, that it is a little difficult getting a great scent throw. I use several little tips and tricks that I've found off doing a search on the board that help with the frosting, throw problems, and wet spots. Currently, I am still testing wicks. I think I'm on the verge of finding the one:yay: Good luck to you!

If you do a title search on "464" you will get 4 pages of threads, some of which are in-depth discussions with dozens of posts and thousands of views. There are threads where people have posted their test results with the wax, along with photographs. There are threads just on wicking. In other words, you'll get worlds more information by searching and reading than by starting a new thread.

I have also found that I get almost no wet spots when I pour into clear glass, and get quite visible wet spots when poured into frosted glass, go figure.

Some containers, especially cheaper ones, are frosted both inside and out. This can significantly decrease the adhesion of the wax. Nicer frosted containers are smooth on the inside and should work the same as clear.

Now that the weather is cooler, I've found that I get a lot of air pockets under the surface even though I always cover the candles with boxes and sometimes towels after pouring. I got tired of repeatedly using the heat gun and poking bubbles with skewers, so I am currently testing candles with some WSP's SP wax (soy-paraffin blend) added to the 464. So far, a 50-50 mix makes a beautiful candle with great CT and HT (I only cured for one day cause I was impatient to see how the wick would burn). I just poured a 25-75 last night and I got some wet spots but a nice smooth look. I will try to wait a little longer to burn that one (but I don't know if I can be patient enough. :D)

Naomi

• 2 weeks later...

Naomi, I use only 464 and had not seen any bubbles, sinkholes, etc. until recently when it got cooler, as you mentioned. (I love to open those windows when it's a crisp fall day...maybe not so good for pouring candles :(.) I hadn't tried covering them with boxes as they cooled, but was thinking about just setting them in the oven (with it off, of course) and letting them cool that way. Just didn't want my oven to smell like my candles every time I crank it up to cook! :cheesy2: