Candle Fairies?

Have you ever had a time where you go for like MONTHS, and everything you wick the first time burns perfectly, you can do no wrong! Then all of a sudden, you can't wick ANYTHING right? GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr. I swear there are little mischevious candle fairies that occasionally sneak in in the middle of the night and switch all my wicks around! Do you guys have them too?

Yesssssssssss! They are not fairies..they are candle gremlins! :smiley2:

Haven't been doing this long and only working with only the jellies and pure soy. I swear six months ago I was using Lx26 and eco 8's no problem. Now, even after mixing pure soy and that 115 lmp soy, I am still having to wick up! The lx's just fizzle out, cd's do the same and am using eco 10's and 12's and htp 126's!! About ready to pull my hair out.

Got that new wax to test, if I can get the same cold and hot throws, with easier wicking, I'll be right on it..lol

Baaaad, bad fairies!

I hear you loud and clear! For the past month, every candle I make, with the exception of the 4 oz jj, has gotten sink holes and air pockets right next to the wick....every single one...this didn't happen to me EVER! I used to come on here and read about them, and not know what ppl were talking about.

I know now! MISERABLE!

I wish you all the luck in the world, believe me.

Fern-Marie

I haven't experienced this yet, but I call them "tricky people" or "invisible leprechauns." These are the same little people who:

-steal your pencil/pen when it falls on the floor. The pencil/pen mysteriously disappears!

-steal ONE of your socks from the dryer when you KNOW you put two in there!

-keep the thing you are looking for away from you until you are not looking for it, then place it in front of you!

-stick their foot out in front of you where you trip over nothing and make you look dumb at the mall or in another public place!

-etc., etc.

I guess they are now in the candlemaking business too! :yes:

Yes, the little Devils do come out at night a mess around with your wicks!!!

Just make sure you double check the wicks you have.

I got 1000 wicks last year from a supplier that were wrong!! :shocked2:

I ordered hemp and got zinc, and made quite a few candles with the zinc wicks before catching this error!! It was horrible!!!

So you just might want to double check!! :rolleyes2

Soy just sucks sometine too!!

Always having to rewick with new batches!!!

Oh Well!! Off to make candles!! ;)

Ok, I am experiencing the devious fairies, devils, aliens, gremlins or what ever they are called. I have tested and tested and tested all my scents and I have run across two so far that I thought I had right and now it seems I need to wick up. I just happen to do a random test after I tested over and over and finalized them and the flames seem a little weak -- not a good thing. I am bummed because a couple of acquaintances have purchased some that I had made. I never even attempt to sell unless I have tested long and hard to make sure. Gee, now it makes one feel, "can you ever be really sure." What do you do if you know someone has a candle that may need to be wicked up? One lady takes my aerobic classes, so I can get a hold of her. I may also be able to get a hold of the other one. Maybe this is why I have run into weak flames with well known companies that usually burn great. I guess they get the candle "devils" too. :P

Ok, I am experiencing the devious fairies, devils, aliens, gremlins or what ever they are called. I have tested and tested and tested all my scents and I have run across two so far that I thought I had right and now it seems I need to wick up.
Apart from the possible involvement of the aliens, maybe you're worrying too much. I shouldn't talk because I'm a perfectionist and worry about the candles all the time, but there's a lot of randomness in the burns no matter how you wick them. Little deviations in the trim of the wick and the flatness of the surface and whatever can be a big deal. Are these candles that you burned several times and they definitely weren't performing up to snuff?

Apart from the possible involvement of the aliens, maybe you're worrying too much. I shouldn't talk because I'm a perfectionist and worry about the candles all the time, but there's a lot of randomness in the burns no matter how you wick them. Little deviations in the trim of the wick and the flatness of the surface and whatever can be a big deal. Are these candles that you burned several times and they definitely weren't performing up to snuff?

Hey Top,

These were two candles that had the types of FO that one wick could be slightly bigger but was not "weak" and the other wick one size up was slightly bigger than I like (flame slightly bigger). I test all my candles top to bottom and again and the ones like these I test several times to make the decision. I thought I made the correct decision -- flames were not too weak but could be bigger but safer to be slightly on the smaller side than the larger side (double wicking). I do random tests now and then (especially with the these oils that are kinda inbetween) and I found that the flames seemed weaker this time after testing several other times. I would not have chosen the smaller wick if they appeared this weak. I would have tested the one wick up again. They are not "drowning" but they are not where I like them. I am testing it again to see how it is to make sure. Sometimes there is that fine line between perfect and safe where there seems to not be a middle. I hope that makes sense.

P.S. Top, you are right about the variations. I am testing it again now to see if it is the same. It's the variations that will drive you nuts! santa roll

P.S. Top, you are right about the variations. I am testing it again now to see if it is the same. It's the variations that will drive you nuts! santa roll
I like your cute little Santa hat.

I tend to go for conservative wicking, but if you're finding a lot of samples that seem underwicked you could go for the more aggressive choice when weighing your wicking options.

It's surprising sometimes how unconservative the commercial makers can be. I wick my 3 inch mottled pillars for 4 hour burns. The flame is nicer for a longer time and I figure a lot of people burn them in long sessions. Went out and bought an Illuminations candle, which is kind of a benchmark for mottles, and discovered it's a relative torch compared to mine. 4 hours without a trim and it's sending up smoke signals.

I hear you loud and clear! For the past month, every candle I make, with the exception of the 4 oz jj, has gotten sink holes and air pockets right next to the wick....every single one...this didn't happen to me EVER! I used to come on here and read about them, and not know what ppl were talking about.

I know now! MISERABLE!

I wish you all the luck in the world, believe me.

Fern-Marie

:cry2: Getting Sink holes here too!