Coconut Oil

Just went to king soopers and right in front of me was a tag that said new item It's LouAna coconut oil. The label reads coconut oil will become solid at 76 degrees and become liquid at 77 degrees or higher. 100% pure all natural. I think this is what I was looking for. If not hope somebody tells me cause I'm gonna try it tonight.

Linda:yay:

Just went to king soopers and right in front of me was a tag that said new item It's LouAna coconut oil. The label reads coconut oil will become solid at 76 degrees and become liquid at 77 degrees or higher. 100% pure all natural. I think this is what I was looking for. If not hope somebody tells me cause I'm gonna try it tonight.

Linda:yay:

Thats the kind I use..... And when I first started testing with the CO, I only used like 2 tsp per pound. It helped just a little(or maybe it was my imagination)... Then I read a thread on here where someone was using like an ounce of CO per 10 oz of wax.. I tried that with a scent that didn't throw well for me and I could definetly tell a difference.. A big one..

So when you start your testing try all kinds of different amounts to get the full effect..

I got to find that thread again.. And anyone would have to buy the CO in bulk if you were going to use this much all the time..Thats the only thing I don't like.. is having to have something else shipped...

Emily

Thank you all. This information is great. My local grocery store is now carrying Louana oil. I haven't looked for coconut oil, though, but at least I know what to look for there and even at Walmart. I report back to let you know the results. :)

Hi,

I just read a post about where coconut oil is recommended to increase scent throw and that 1tsp/lb should be used. Is this coconut oil you buy at the grocery store or is it something special ?:rolleyes2

Originally, CO was tried to help reduce frosting. Then someone claimed it enhanced scent throw. Some folks swear by it; I haven't found it to be a better solution than USA, which not only enhances scent throw but also helps control frosting and improves the general texture of the wax. I'm sure it behaves differently depending on the wax one is using. I use NatureWax C3. What kind of wax are you using and are you experiencing scent throw problems or did you just figure that it'd make your candles better?

If you search for coconut oil in the veggie wax forum, you will find LOADS of discussion about it...

Stella.. I have to ask about the USA what if people like me and others for instance that don't live in the US. what can we use to enhanced scent throw in our candles see I try to by 16 oz of it from a supplier with a 100 CDN wicks and they wanted for $ 25 US $40 shipping. Not to mention the UPS over the border duty another $20 so for people like us :) what else can we use is Vybar the same as USA please help the pour people:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Distilled monoglyceride - allegedly Panalite. Could also try soy lecithin, palm oil, etc. I dunno what's available in other countries... Vybar is NOT the same. USA is a veggie derived additive... by veggies, for veggies :laugh2:

Ya have to understand that soy wax is basically superhydrogenated shortening, which makes it a food product. The food industry has been dealing with some of these issues for a long time and have products to enhance fragrance, reduce frosting ("bloom") and improve texture - ya just gotta hunt for information. There's a TON if it here in the veggie wax forum - people can use the site search tool or the Google site search tool (better). Instructions can be found within the Newbie information posts on the first page of the forums...

Here are some old discussions, to illustrate how searching can find knowledge and information here (pay particular attention to Top's posts in those links) ;)

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60550&highlight=Panalite

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?p=530983&highlight=Panalite#post530983

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61700&highlight=Panalite&page=2

Edited by Stella1952

Stella Now you lost me what the heck is (Distilled mono glyceride) I don't even want to go there, but I do have soy lecithin, and palm oil, So what you are saying is I can use soy lecithin, or palm oil, so how much do I use per pound and will enhanced the scent throw I use CBA wax and some scents don't even throw after 2 weeks Thanks for your help :)

Sherry, You indicated that you needed to know a more local source for USA (Universal Soy Additive, whatever that means...). I can't help you with that because I have no idea what's available to you where you are. I told you that USA is a distilled monoglyceride, perhaps panalite; I mentioned soy lecithin because it is used in many wax blends by manufacturers to condition the wax; I mentioned palm oil because it is one of many veggie oils used by manufacturers and chandlers to help stabilize the crystal structure of soy wax, as are coconut oil, cotonseed oil, etc. The discussion links I posted have a lot of information on the use of additives to stabilize the wax and enhance its appearance & scent throw properties. Those discussions could be helpful in searching for additives that may be available in your area. Or not...

CBA is well known for having a great appearance but so-so scent throw. You can search the veggie wax forum here to see if others have found any additive(s) that would significantly boost its hot throw properties. As for how much of anything to use, I really cannot make any recommendation - each chandler has to test to discover what works best for them with their wax blend, FOs, wicks, etc. Start with a small amount and work up, testing each to see what works and what doesn't... I think Emily's remarks should give you a starting point...

Then I read a thread on here where someone was using like an ounce of CO per 10 oz of wax.. I tried that with a scent that didn't throw well for me and I could definetly tell a difference.. A big one..

So when you start your testing try all kinds of different amounts to get the full effect..

Good luck. :) Edited by Stella1952

Stella thanks for the replay I have to apologize for the lost post I didn't see

the rest of your threat

and when I sheen it it was to late I already reply on it

well that is more like it now I understand a little better

knowledge and information here (pay particular attention to Top's posts in those links) ;)

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/sh...light=Panalite

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/sh...e#post530 983

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/sh...analite&page=2

I really appreciated taking time to put up with me thank you:)

I just tried coconut oil for the first time, 1 tsp (yes tsp) pp, and experienced my first candles with very weak flames. This and the FO, Lone Star Moonflower, were the only variants in the batches I've been making so there is a good chance that the coconut oil is the culprit; however, in my readings of previous discussions I didn't really see any reference to coconut oil causing a weak flame. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks.