Melting?

There's lots of ways that work - some of 'em better than others. When we first started, we used recycled, cleaned vegetable cans set in a pan of water on the stove (double boiler). It worked, but had a LOT of drawbacks! It was a drippy mess and took forever to heat up the wax, so after reading here at CT about the 6 quart Presto Kitchen Kettles, we bought several from WalMart (I even bought one to cook FOOD in!) and have not looked back. There are even instructions here somewhere about how to retrofit the Presto with a spigot for pouring or sources where you can buy them with a spigot installed for a little extra $$ (not necessary, but a nice add-on). When folks outgrow their Prestos, they often move up to the 28 quart Masterbuilt Turk & Surf Electric Turkey Fryers. After that, it's professional melters, etc.

A couple of safety tips:

• Don't melt wax over a direct flame or electric element - a double boiler is much safer and there is little chance of overheating your wax. The Presto & Turk & Surf both have thermostats to help prevent overheating.

• Keep a thermometer in your melting container to be sure that the temperature doesn't get too high (or low) - you just have to remember to actually LOOK at the thermometer!

HTH :)

If you're not ready for a Presto pot, you could just get some standard pouring pots and use the double boiler method with them. Put the wax in the pouring pot and hook the handle over the edge of a stock pot of almost-simmering water.

These are the pouring pots I'm thinking of. http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=c35&title=Candle%20Wax%20Pouring%20Pots

Actually, you have to be careful with the Presto because those temp guides are not reliable. I use a Masterbuilt turkey fryer and have found the temp to be very spot on but then I pour into my glass carafe and keep it to right temp on a hot plate. I keep my oven thermometer (it has a long silver cord to the probe) in the wax and make sure it doesn't over heat. HTH.

Steve

I use a presto pot and have for years...I dont turn it above 200 and when the wax is melted I turn it down to warm...usually I only melt what I need for that batch so I never have any left in the pot....that is gonna change for me...I am opening a shop. Presto pots are only about 23.00 at wal-mart. Make sure it is a PRESTO POT and NOT a deep fryer

Since I am just starting out, I use a kitchen pot, put some lids from mason jars on the bottom of it, then put my melting pot on top of the lids, and pour water in the pot to get the double boiler effect. I recommend using an old kitchen pot, because the one I used started peeling away on the inside. I would love to get something to melt more wax at a time, but it will have to do for now.

I will second the presto pots. They are super easy to use. I have a "probe" thermometer that I just leave in the wax while melting to keep an eye on it. I have it set so it starts going off just a few degrees lower than I want it to be so it lets me know when I need to start keeping a closer eye on it so I can be wicking or packaging, etc without standing over it. The probe works great in my big commercial melters too (have multiple thermometers).

Just throwing one other thing out there....I also use 1 of my presto's as my double boiler for repours. I just put water in it and pop my pour pot in because I do not have a stove in my basement workshop. Works awesome for that too and is a little safer than regular single burner hot plates with the heating coil.

I also use a presto pot. I have been making candles as a hobby for about five years now. I started with the double boiler method and quickly became tired of that. I saw the presto pot recommended on these boards and went and bought one. It is awesome!