Confused....HELP

I have been pouring through all of these threads looking for some info on mixing a Palm wax, like Astrolite Palm-2, with Parifin. All of you seem to be speaking in a foreign language using the names and numbers...LOL

It's all new to me is all. I have not been able to find the wax I was using, Astrolite PQ, it is no longer made, but I like the crystalized look on my finished pillars. I know I can get a similar look with Palm 2, but I use plastic moulds and the pouting temp is to high. SO I thought I would try mixing it with parafin, maybe 50/50 or 25% Palm and 75% Parafin.

Has anyone expereminted with this kind of mix?? What percentages would you reccomend for the mix and what size wick is good for a 3 inch square pillar?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

I don't think you'll get the same crystal effect if you mix it with anything like soy or paraffin. And definitely for sure you will not get the crystal look if you pour it below 180 degrees.

But it never hurts to experiment. Just mix up a little bit. Then maybe try an LX 22 for the wick. You will most likely need stearic to get the wax out of the mold, 5% will do it.

It is really hard to wick this wax. I've been experimenting with this wax forever, and still can't get the wicks right on a few sizes. I'm getting closer each test I do though.

Good luck:smiley2:

I think paraffin will kill your nice crystal effect. I mixed soy with palm before and got something pretty hideous looking. Have never tried it with paraffin though. You never know until you give it a shot. There is another company that makes a nice looking candle wax (particularly the SP486P). http://www.spwax.com/datasht.htm

If you send them an e-mail they will send you some free samples to try out. There is also a distributer that sells their wax. But I think Strahl & Pitsch is up in your neck of the woods and would be easy for you to get.

Keep us posted! Glad to see you back into the candles again :grin2: