Newbie soy candle maker

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum!

I own my own soap, bath and body business and have been practicing making soy candles for the past few weeks.

I've been using 100% soy wax (Eco Soy CB), HPT wicks (105 and 112), and standard size mason jars.

I'm having a problem with the hot throw. I've tried both wicks, and even though the wax is highly scented (I used about 2 oz pp/wax which I know is high), all I'm smelling when the candle burns is the wick "fuel".

Any suggestions? I am following the recommendation of the supplier I bought the wax from to use the 105 and 112 HPT wicks. Can any experienced chandlers suggest another type/size of wick that I might have more success with?

Any tips at all?

Thanks so much!

Welcome! My best suggestion is to hop over to the veggie wax forum where all the info on soy & other veggie waxes lives. :)

Using too much FO can cause the "fuel smell." With FO, more is not always better, especially with soy-based waxes.

Which "standard size" mason jars are you using? Jelly jars, wide-mouth masons, etc.? :confused:

Edited by Stella1952

AshleyR, welcome to the forum. Stella gave some good advice. If you're working with soy, the veggie wax section is the way to go. You did great with giving all the specs on what you're using. I'm going to transport this over and see if we can get you some answers. :thumbsup:

Could be anything and everything.

The fragrance oil sounds like too much and the wick sounds too large. Either of those could cause the problem.

Buy fragrance from a supplier who tests with soy wax. If the fragrance isn't soy-compatible, you'll never get good results with it.

If you're using Ecosoya CB-Advanced, your scent throw will be less than with other waxes.

Don't worry, it often takes a lot of testing and perseverance.