Not impressed with scent throw of my wax

Hey. I have tested J60 and Acu Para 30 (parasoy) in a 2.5-3 inch jar. Tried some different wicks. I have been doing 6% FO and some liquid dye. Just haven't been too impressed with the HT. CT has been just fine. Is it even realistic to have a candle throw as much as a tart with the same % FO? The tarts smell up my whole house pretty much. I haven't tested in a while because I was kind of discouraged with this. Don't really want to do all the testing of wicks if the HT isn't good anyways. I know wick can affect the HT though. I was considering trying a different wax like the Comfort or Harmony blend. It's also easier to find wicking help and info on these waxes, which is a plus.

Any thoughts?

Is it even realistic to have a candle throw as much as a tart with the same % FO?

Of course it is or hardly anyone would bother making scented candles!!!

If a FO is throwing well in a melt but not in a candle (same formula, same wax, same ingredients, same amounts), then I have to assume the problem is the wicking. No matter how much wicking help is available from candlemaking sources, you still have to do your own testing. If you don't want to do wick testing, then don't make candles! ;)

Well the tart wax is different because I can't use the container wax for tarts. I don't mind doing wick testing, but I guess my question is...when do you decide that the HT is not good because the wax doesn't throw well or that it doesn't throw well because of the wick? How do you sort this out? When would you look into a different wax? The wax I am using is not used by very many people on this board...at least I can't find much on it in a search.

You have to treat it like a scientific experiment.

You have to make deligent notes.

You have to weigh every contributing factor.

You can only change one thing at a time to see what different results (if any) are achieved. If everything and I mean everything (% of FO, type and weight of wax) are exactly the same and the only difference is adding a wick...that's your answer.

That is why it's such an accomplishment when a true chandler finds the magic combo and makes a candle that is beautiful to look at, delightful to smell and burns perfectly.

It's not easy and takes years of trial and error. The perfect end result is well worth all the time it takes to properly test. And then just when you have it down just right.....you'll want to try something new!!!!!:yay:

It looks like that wax may be a 85/15 soy/paraffin blend. Try a tsp of coconut oil per pound and see how cdn wicks or zinc wicks do for that wax. Reading your entries in the Swan Candle board leads me to believe that this wax may need some cure time before testing. You might give it 3 or 4 days and see of that makes a difference. There's no way of knowing what the exact ratio of soy and paraffin is because they just describe it as mostly soy. Try about 7% fo, coconut oil, curing and then the above mentioned wicks. I use the 70/30 wax from TCS and its great. HTH.

Steve