I'm stumped...

Hello! Well, I'm trying a new wax...415 and I think I like it, however I'm having a hard time figuring out which direction to go next. I'm still testing a 3 inch diameter Madison. I've tried CD 14, CD 16, CD 18, and CD 20. The CD 18 has a huge amount of hang up, but has the best hot throw, and absolutely no mushrooming...haven't had to trim the wick and it is never longer than 1/4". The CD 20 seems too big...major mushrooms and larger, dancing flame. Plus, I'm not even 1/2 way down the container, and it already gets pretty warm while burning. I am using 1 tsp CO per 1/2 lb, .6 oz FO (Cranberry Marmelade) per 1/2 lb. I tested the 14, 16, and 18 originally without CO. I was thinking to lower the amount of CO to 1/2 teaspoon per 1/2 lb of wax, but I wasn't sure exactly wick-wise where to go from here...TIA for the help!!!

(the candle on the left is with CD 18 & CO after 5th 3 hour test burn, the middle is CD 20 w/ CO after the 7th test burn, and the one on the right is CD 20 w/ USA after 7th test burn...just an experiment)

post-10699-139458457662_thumb.jpg

Considering how nicely it's burning, I'd be wanting to go with the CD 18 if I could.

My idea of hangup is what's left on the glass after the whole candle has been burned. :) You do have to see how it ends up, but yeah it does look like the melt pool hasn't been as good as you'd want. I wonder if it would get off to a better start if the container wasn't filled to the rim.

That's another funny thing! When I filled the container, it was roughly 1/2 from the top, same as the others. Throughout the burn sessions, the wax has slowly creeped up the sides. It's burning right now, the hangup is literally 1/16 from the top! I'm wondering what it's going to do...:tiptoe:

Keep burning them all to complete your test. The CD 18, it might catch up because of the nature of how soy tends to burn - down then out. Also the heat of the container might help to bring that hang-up down. Unless you can absolutely tell that a wick is wrong, its best to burn the candle all the way down to see how it does. A candle that appears to be burning great during the first few initial burns, can struggle on a later burn and not do so well. A candle that does not appear to be burning great can end up burning all the way down with no hang-up. Sometimes you just never know until you burn it all the way down. Also cutting back on your FO or changing wicks all together might help with your burn.

Jen, I would have test burned for a longer period of time. 3 hours isn't long enough. I always test mine for at least 4 if not 5 to 8 hours...just because that is what a typical person would burn for. The CD 18 on the left might just work out if you burn it for a longer period of time. How long did you burn the others?

Jen, I would have test burned for a longer period of time. 3 hours isn't long enough. I always test mine for at least 4 if not 5 to 8 hours...just because that is what a typical person would burn for.

I was thinking the same thing, but remember you also have to test candle designs according to the burning instructions you're giving to the customer. Telling them that a 3 inch diameter candle has to be burned for 5 hours at a time isn't really reasonable. 4 hours could be reasonable.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Hello! Sorry...been away for a while. Well, I burned them all down. I still have about 1/2 left to burn in the 18, and all the hang up has melted down, sides are clean, never got any mushrooming, never trimmed the wick because it never got longer than 1/4. Thank you for the advice, because I wouldn't have continued burning the 18 all the way down if you wouldn't have suggested it!:yay: You guys are awesome!! I wanted to post a picture, but haven't taken one yet. I will pour another the same and burn it for longer periods of time and see how it does. Fingers are crossed. I poured a couple more scents with the 18 and am not having the same luck. I'll keep burning them, but will also pour some with smaller wicks to compare. They are Pumpkin souffle (CS) and Pear Spice (Peaks)...both are very yummy.

Gotta burn until the bitter end unless the wick turns into a torch or drowns out completely! I have been quite surprised how well things can turn out when they began rather raggedy... Glad things are working out mo' better for you! :D

Edited by Stella1952