Instructions for Oils used in warmers/burners

Holly

I am going to be adding these soon, and I will be using fragrance oil with Olive oil as the additive. For those of you who use this blend, do you know where I can find instructions for this? I do not want the customer to add water, because when I tested it in a metal tealight oil burner, it got too hot, and it popped and splatted all over the place. I know that a lot of people have metal type tealight oil warmers and could use them. I am going to indicate on my instructions not to use metal tealight burners whether water is used or not.

What have some of you come up with as the best way to burn these. How much to you say to put in the warmer? I am testing different amounts

Thanks for any input.

Edited by Holly

I don't have one of mine here to copy for you but something like this:

Place enough oil to fill holder 1/2 way. Turn on burner and enjoy. No additives needed. After a few days as aroma weakens carefully empty and replace with fresh oil. Caution: Spilled oils may damage furniture finishes and plastics. Caution: not for food consumption or body use.

I don't have one of mine here to copy for you but something like this:

Place enough oil to fill holder 1/2 way. Turn on burner and enjoy. No additives needed. After a few days as aroma weakens carefully empty and replace with fresh oil. Caution: Spilled oils may damage furniture finishes and plastics. Caution: not for food consumption or body use.

Thanks! You definitely noted some things I do not yet have on mine...like "will damage furniture" or "not for food consumption". I have the do not use on body. Also, regarding how the oil will weaken and to carefully empty and replace, etc. I basically got my instructions off of a store brand but theirs had instructions for water, but I have decided against that.

Is the 1/2 full for the small little dishes - narrow in diameter and deeper? If the dish is larger, you would have to use a lot of the oil in the bottle to fill it halfway. Maybe I am just getting to analytical on this. I want to make sure that I am giving safe instructions. I tested a teaspoon in a ceramic tealight burner yesterday - not a real large one but a shorter one with a medium dish. It seemed to work well. WAY better than a metal ones - these get way to hot even with more oil. I think a lot of customers have the impression that they use just have a use a few drops in water like some store bought ones will give as instructions, but I don't think it is safe or gives as good of a scent throw and is a hassle - water evaborates quickly and you keep having to put more.

Thanks again. I will eventually get these ready. :)

I figured it would cover all bases if it states 1/2 instead of a measurement. There are too many different brands of burners out there. I figure some instructions should come with the burner itself. I know when I sell one of my burners I physically pull out the tray and show them how to fill it. I try to give some credit to my customers but usually just when I do they do something really dumb to amaze me.

Thanks! You definitely noted some things I do not yet have on mine...like "will damage furniture" or "not for food consumption". I have the do not use on body. Also, regarding how the oil will weaken and to carefully empty and replace, etc. I basically got my instructions off of a store brand but theirs had instructions for water, but I have decided against that.

Is the 1/2 full for the small little dishes - narrow in diameter and deeper? If the dish is larger, you would have to use a lot of the oil in the bottle to fill it halfway. Maybe I am just getting to analytical on this. I want to make sure that I am giving safe instructions. I tested a teaspoon in a ceramic tealight burner yesterday - not a real large one but a shorter one with a medium dish. It seemed to work well. WAY better than a metal ones - these get way to hot even with more oil. I think a lot of customers have the impression that they use just have a use a few drops in water like some store bought ones will give as instructions, but I don't think it is safe or gives as good of a scent throw and is a hassle - water evaborates quickly and you keep having to put more.

Thanks again. I will eventually get these ready. :)

Are you talking the metal warmer with a light bulb? If so all they have to do is put in a lesser wattage bulb.

Are you talking the metal warmer with a light bulb? If so all they have to do is put in a lesser wattage bulb.

Hi Sharon. It is a metal tealight warmer that The Body Shop sells. Bath and Body Works sells the metal type tealight oil warmers to as well as Michaels. They are all over the place. The oil just gets too hot and to me it will distort the scent as well. If the customers adds water like some customers most likely have done with other company oils, it can pop and splat everywhere. It happened to me and it got all over my really nice wood. Fortunately, my kids came outside to get me and I was able to wipe it down before it ate the finish. I missed a couple of spots where it flew over to another end table (from the fireplace mantel) and it did leave a couple spots (ate the finish). I was really mad at myself. I should have tested it somewhere else but the mantel is high up and away from things and cats and I had tested it before with some water added and it did not pop.

Edited by Holly

I try to give some credit to my customers but usually just when I do they do something really dumb to amaze me.

Just like one of my customers said she didn't need any tarts cause the one she put in 6 months is still there. She thought it would dissipate like candle wax does when it burns. Had to explain " the wax stays, just the scent goes away".