Disaster Soap, any ideas to make lemonade out of lemons?

Firefly

Hello,

My sister and I just made a CP soap that was a disaster. It's like a death we are so upset over it all. It's only soap I know but my week has been stressful at work and I so enjoy soaping as it takes me away from it all.

I used this Fig and Melon FO from Voyageur which I've used before but come to think of it think I've only used it in M&P. I usually always use 1 oz per pound of oils for scenting (well that differs depending on the scent but most the time that is what I do).

Anyway it started off mixing well (we didn't use a mixer, just hand whisking it) and then all of the sudden it riced on us. I was prepared for a thick trace but not this. Anywho just covered it and figure I'll rebatch it tomorrow. I've labelled the bottle right away so I won't use this scent for CP in the future.

I'm thinking of ideas to make this ugly duckling something beautiful. Is there a thread on here where members have transformed bad batches into works of art? If I'm successful in my transformation I'll post a photo.

Edited by Firefly

I don't think "work of art" could happen but you could rebatch it to have a nice bar of soap.

One thing I do when working with a new oil is separate a small portion and add a touch of the FO to see what it will do. If it doesn't behave in your sample portion then don't use it.

When I rebatch, only I know it's a rebatch, people don't seem to notice a difference.

I use those crockpot bags, and use the low setting on the crockpot for 9 hours or so, I also add some water.

Once it's all mushy, I take oven mits and massage the hell out of it, then pour it into the mold and cover with saran. I try to smooth it out as much as I can.

If it's a soap that won't darken naturally, I tend to add color after I shred it. It looks pretty funky.

Someone I gave some rebatched soap to gave me hell for not selling it because she thought it looked awesome. :shocked2:

Thanks for all the tips.

Here is what I came up with.

The two logs from the front, I didn't have that much left of the rebatch for the smaller log so used more M&P on that one

PomFigLogs.jpg

This is the view from the back for the smaller log, as I made a bunch of neon orange and cut it into cubes and added to the rebatch.

PomFigSideBySideBack.jpg

This is the big log cut into bars.

PomFigRebatchCut.jpg

This is the smaller log cut into bars.

SmBatchPomFigCut.jpg

I like the idea of adding the FO to a smaller amount to see what happens. Some of it got on my hands and I washed it off and my hands were so soft.

Edited by Firefly