4627 questions

I'm pretty new to containers, and I haven't found answers to these questions when searching, so forgive me if this is noob stuff to you container pros:

(1) Does 4627 perform better with a cure time? I know my paraffin votives do but 4627 is a far different wax.

(2) It can hold up to 10% fragrance load, but are you finding that it does wonderfully with around 6%? Or are you finding you really need to go the whole 10% for best scent throw and performance?

(3) Anyone tried an LX-20 wick in 8 oz quilted jelly jars? Does that sound like a reasonable starting point for this wax? Nobody seems to use LX's much so chatter about them is scarce.

Thanks in advance!

1) No cure time for this wax ready to burn as soon as set.

2) Fragrance: I use 10 percent most of the time sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less..

3) I use Zinc wicks only

4) The liquids dyes work great and produce very nice colors from the lightest to the darkest!

Thanks, Vicki. That is the kind of input I was hoping to get.

Instead of the LX-20, I ended up trying a 51-32-18 cotton wick. It's been going for 2 hours now and is performing wonderfully.

Used 1 oz Candle Science 'Apple Jack & Peel' to 8 oz wax (shooting for FO being near 10% for the total wax + FO weight). The scent has filled my large bedroom and is wafting down the hall despite the closed door.

I can leave my finger wrapped around the jar for a time before it's uncomfortably warm, so it doesn't seem to be excessively hot for the jar. Flame is perfect and no soot.

5 drops red + 5 drops maroon + 4 drops black made a beautiful deep berry purple color.

So far so good, and I had enough leftover wax to pour in a glass votive container so I've got a votive to play with too.

Just a couple more thoughts on color.

Relatively speaking, 4627 is one of the most translucent container blends I can think of. Certainly it's opaque compared to straight paraffin, but it's at the opposite end of the spectrum from soy wax or soy blends, as well as being less opaque than paraffin based one-pours like J-223.

What that means in practice is that you don't need as much dye to get a lot of color and the colors don't tend as much toward pastel shades. If you want a deep or dark color it's not that hard to get.

For people who love that creamy Crisco look, you won't quite get it with this wax. The light penetrates the surface a little and gets scattered, giving it a slightly cloudy look. Even with small amounts of dye, you don't quite get that creamy pastel effect.