Presto Pot Help...

So I found a few directions on how to make the presto pots with the spigots and DH and I went to Lowes and to our local hardware stores on search for the items needed. We had luck finding certain pieces but there wasn't everything we needed.

The gentleman at Lowe's gave us items that he thought would work closest to what was being said on the directions but im still a bit skeptical of it....

So I was going to get a presto pot at Wal-Mart - so DH can stop getting mad about the wax all over the stove :) - but instead of putting the spigot in that one right off I was going to use it to heat up the water and double boil the the Pouring pots - Would this work? Has anyone tried it?

I'm going to use our old Presto Pot to attempt to fix it with the items I got at Lowes and see how it comes out - but I think we are still missing some essential tools :(

Thanks in Advance

~*Sarah*~

I put a spigot on my presto and it was pretty simple. That was about 3 years ago and the spigot sitll works without a problem. I don't use it anymore. I have a turkey fryer. Some people use a griddle to place their pour pots on to keep the wax from cooling but I use a hot plate and an oven thermometer to monitor the temp and keep my wax at a constant pour temp. I wouldn't get too fancy and spend too much money until you get the hang of the basics and see whether you want to continue with this craft. I'm sure you've studied the archives and read through the many posts and already know what an expensive and often frustrating business this can be. Good luck and ask questions. HTH.

Steve

In lieu of using the presto pot as a double boiler I just set my presto to 200 and sit my pouring pot right in it. I'm just careful not to let the plastic handle touch the insides of the pot. I plan on eventually getting a griddle plate but pot works fine for now.

I have another one with a spigot which I love but I use the other presto (I got for a $1 at a yard sale) to keep my wax warm while I'm adding dye and fragrance and in between repours.

Chuck, If you're no longer using your presto you might consider offering it for sale in the classies. I bet a newbie would put it to good use.

I am in LOVE with it- I was amazed how truly quick it melted the wax... and it wasn't messy when pouring into the pour pot *yes!*

Thanks for all the feedback from today - My new candle room set up is more fantastic then my kitchen was and its all because of the Presto Pot ;)

~*Sarah*~

Hi Sarah,

The first time I got into candle making a few years ago I lucked out because my father in law had the correct size drill bit needed in order to drill the whole in the presto. I could find everything I needed but that & the thread tapper so he saved the day. THIS time around - I'm 4 hours away and was able to find everything again, BUT the drill bit. So I went to my local ACE Hardware in search of said bit and though they didn't carry it to sell, they had it in their workshop & offered to drill the hole for me for $5. I went yesterday at lunch and they took care of it for me! I plan on making candles this weekend! Hope that helps!

Callie,

It's like you knew what we could not find- the drill bits everywheres (including my dads stash) ends at 1/2" and forget about the tap :) Thanks for the info though - not sure where the closest ACE hardware store is here but that has got me thinking :)

NewOrleansLady,

I did check out Taylored concepts from another thread here on presto pots - they are about the same price as the ones on Ebay and I agree it might just be easier to go that route- I was thinking if I made a couple it would be cheaper to make them ourselves but - im not a 100% positive.

At any rate I am a couple of batches of candles away from using all the jars I have in stock - and so far the presto pot without the spigot is working just fine :)

~*Sarah*~

I don't have much problem with drips because I hold my pour pot over the Presto while ladling the wax into it, so any drips fall back into the pot. I also set the Presto on an old baking sheet along with a spoon rest to contain any drippage within the baking sheet. It saves me a lot of time on cleanup! HTH :)

Those are some good ideas for clean up solutions. I like the wax drippings myself - its almost like seasoning a wooden spoon or the such - and when the wax gets to be too much I like to just dig it off while waiting for somthing - though with this presto pot I think waiting will be somthing of the past :D

~*Sarah*~

Sweet- well I appreciate the feedback :) I am going to move all my stuff out of the kitchen and into my current sewing room - It's going to be so nice not having to keep cats and dogs from jumping up onto my cooling jars and the such :D

~*Sarah*~

I did that. You will love it. no one bothers you. I keep a 6 ft folding table up and can work whenever i want. TV and computer in there. It is so peacful. I don't have to clean up all the way . YOU WILL LOVE IT . I use the presto pot as is.