What to do with 40 pounds of soy wax?

Wildcrafter

I have 40 pounds of soy wax from 2 years ago - 100% Soy container wax by Enchanted Lites (candlesoylutions.com). For the life of me, I was never able to figure out wicking.....tried so many different wicks, got wick suggestions from people that never worked and never got the desired flame. It just never worked out, I got too frustrated with the whole process and I have so many different pots in the fire that I never felt the desire to figure it out.

So, since I won't be making candles (don't want to try any more wicks, thanks) and tarts to not sell at all where I live......what can I do with all that wax? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't want to sell it, I want to use it. 40 pounds would be a lot of shipping for someone and to tell you the truth, I don't want to go through the hassle of packing that much up for shipping or breaking it into smaller portions and having to do multiple shipping. I have so much going on, business wise, until after Christmas.

I only use EOs, no FOs for me. Do wickless "candles" support EOs? I'm not sure they would smell all that strongly. What is a wickless candle, anyway? How does one use it?

Wickless candles are just candles without the wicks. You place them on a candlewarmer and as the wax melts the fragrance is released into the air. They are kinda like self contained tarts. I use 8 oz aluminum tins. I use FO's so I'm not sure about EO's. Not sure if they would be strong enough either but maybe someone on this board who uses them can tell you more.

Can you use this wax in B&B products?

Wickless candles are just candles without the wicks. You place them on a candlewarmer and as the wax melts the fragrance is released into the air. They are kinda like self contained tarts. I use 8 oz aluminum tins. I use FO's so I'm not sure about EO's. Not sure if they would be strong enough either but maybe someone on this board who uses them can tell you more.

Can you use this wax in B&B products?

Thanks! I can't think of a thing I make that I'd want to put soy wax in. I'm a beeswax person.

That's why I'm hoping someone comes up with something that gives me a

:yay:THAT'S IT!:yay: moment.

You can sub in all, or part, soy wax for any products you use bees wax in. This is also good for any vegan product you might want to make - sub the soy for the BW. Mixing BW and soywax in a butter bar works great IMO.

If making tarts, you might need to add in steric, BW or some other additive to make the wax a bit firmer since its 100% soy.

When using EOs with soy, make sure to really test them since some EOs just don't work in soy. Some people might actually recommend using FOs with soy before using EOs. But, I've burned soy candles with EOs that smelled wonderful and burned great. It might not be cost effective to use some EOs too since it might take quite a bit to get a decent throw. You'll have to test to see which ones will work for you and at what amount regardless of whether you make tarts, wicked or wickless candles.

There was a pic just a couple days ago of dipped TP over in the gallery. New here so I'm not sure how to post links and all that or I would search it out for you. Could you do the dipped plush animals with 100% soy? They might be nice with EO's. AS a newbie I'm not sure if you can use 100% soy for them or if it would be to soft.

Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

TTFN~

Rose

All that talk of dipping has gotten me thinking. I dip ponderosa and digger pine cones in scented beeswax and sell out every Christmas. I think I'll dip them in the soy instead of the beeswax. Cheaper for me in the long run.

Thanks everyone!!! I loved all the suggestions and do appreciate you all!

Soy tends to be moisturizing but too soft to use in soap in quantity. The soy flakes are fully hydrogenated so harder, and lend hardness and moisturizing properties both. I use the SAP for soy oil when calculating my recipies. I use about 6-10 oz per 3# batch. I really love soy in soap! As long as it's 100% soy you are fine in terms of knowing saponification values. I say GO FOR IT! :) I've used soy flakes in every bar of soap I have made for the past 8 years!

Edited by Flicker

Why would you not use it in your soap? It is a wash off product. That would be like saying I won't use lye in my soap cause it is a caustic chemical, but you wouldn't have soap if you didn't. Soy bean oil/wax is a great additive to soap especially for those who are vegan. You are not going to eat your soap hopefully, so you should be fine.

Edited by cdesousa5
spelling

Wash off or not, it's still going on the skin. 60% of what goes on the skin goes into the bloodstream. I superfat all my soaps, therefore, there would be hydrogenated oil going on the skin.

At the end of the soap making process, there is no lye to harm the skin or enter into the bloodstream., so the lye is a moot point in the wash off product controversy.

Had I known that soy wax is a hydrogenated wax, I would never have bought it in the first place. I don't use any synthetic fragrances, colors, petroleum ingredients or preservatives in any of my products. That is my desire, what I think of as ethical in my own practice and thoughts, in my teaching and is my niche.

What other people do is up to them, really. I'm trying to step softly here. I mean to say I don't blast others for what they choose to use as ingredients. Not that I think anyone is blasting me or anything. Am I talking too much? Do you get what I'm trying to say???

Edited by Wildcrafter
I'm a spaz and trying to word things right without offending anyone.

I wasn't meaning it to come across as blasting you. I do understand that you absorb things through the skin, but I believe that the hydrogenated oils that are sent through the digestive process affect us differently than those we put on our skin from soap, now if you are using it in a lotion I would want to do further research. You of course have the final decision in what you choose to use or not use.

Edited by cdesousa5
correction

It didn't come across that way at all and I don't feel blasted at all by anyone.

That's what I was trying to say that I would not blast anyone if they did use a certain ingredient or product, even though I wouldn't myself...none of my business. And of course, I couldn't find the right words. I was trying to say what I do or don't do. I don't care what other people do.

Am I clearer or digging in deeper??:) Stupid English. It doesn't always come out on the computer the way it's going on in my mind!!!

Edited by Wildcrafter