Coconut milk soap

Loulougirl

Well, I made my second ever batch of soap last night. I had a can of coconut milk in the pantry, and thought it'd be fun to try subbing that for the water. I read all I could here and elsewhere about this, and froze the milk until it was slushy before I started.

Well, as soon as I added the lye it began to trace and became pretty thick. I stirred it like crazy and it seemed to settle down. It didn't smell weird, or look especially weird, and I added it to my oils and everything else seemed to go just fine.

When I unwrapped it today tho, there are tiny little white speckles all over the soap and... it smells awful!! :( I read the speckles could be from the milk, so ... ok, but the smell! I wonder what happened there.

I'm wondering if rebatching it would fix the smell problem, or if maybe I did scorch the milk or something. Well thanks for listening to my woes everyone!

Did your coconut milk have guar in it? You want the kind that doesn't have guar.

The smell could be due to you over cooking the milk. Sometimes milk soaps will have a smell but it can cure out and the scent could come through. If it doesn't, you can certainly try a rebatch and see how it goes.

Check to make sure those specks are lye. Do the tongue to check for zap.

Sad news Chuck! :sad2:

Meridith, Hmm.. I must have missed that when I was researching milk soaps. Darn. I already recycled the can, but I'll look and see if I have more and check that out. Guar huh.

No zap tho. I guess at this point I'll wait and see how the smell goes. Even if it's super stinky, I can still rebatch it ok?