wax melt warning labels

jenscandles

I'm writing up some warning labels for my wax melts. I looked at some online to see if there was any critical wording I was missing, and I was surprised at some of what I found. I'm seeing some that say things like don't let the bowl burn dry and don't use when 1/4" wax remains, and in the same label, must have 1/2" wax to use the melter. I'm also seeing the labels saying only melt in a warmer using a tealight, never electric. <OOPS!>

Now I know the 1/4" remaining wax is true for containers (although I thought it was 1/2" :confused: ) but I've never had the wax dissipate in my melter. Scent, yes, but not the wax itself...right?

Also, my old tealight warmer would only hold one wax melt. My new electric warmers hold 2 or 3 because I won't fill it to the brim. My label currently says "Typical use is one Scented Melt at one time. Wax warmers with large bowls may use two Scented Melts." (Note: this is for a standard size melt.)

Is this sufficient or do I need to put something about having 1/2" worth of wax in the bowl?

Thanks for your input,

Jen

You're not crazy, but isn't some of the info out there just from another planet at times?

yes!! :laugh2:

Does anybody have a comment about the second part of my question? Repeated here:

Also, my old tealight warmer would only hold one wax melt. My new electric warmers hold 2 or 3 because I won't fill it to the brim. My label currently says "Typical use is one Scented Melt at one time. Wax warmers with large bowls may use two Scented Melts." (Note: this is for a standard size melt.)

Is this sufficient or do I need to put something about having 1/2" worth of wax in the bowl?

I think what I have is fine but if there does need to be a certain amount of wax in there, then maybe it should be mentioned? What do you think?

I don't get why an x-amount has to be in it, ya know? If it gets too hot the bowl is going to break regardless and most likely from the heating source. The less one puts in the less it's going to smell. So unless I'm overlooking something here, scented wax is only needed to make it smell. I guess this is where you test your product in the warmer, but seriously ... perhaps others need 1/2 " of wax over 1/4 because it doesn't give off a scent?

Perhaps there was some conspiracy out there that people had to find something to outsell those who said 1/2 over 1/4, which wouldn't surprise me at all because there's still so much misinfo out there.

This is what I currently have on my warning label. Comments/revision suggestions welcome. Anything critical I left out?

Our Scented Melts can be used in electric and tealight wax warmers. Do not melt on a stove top. Typical use is one Scented Melt at a time. Wax warmers with large bowls may use two Scented Melts. Do not add water. Follow manufacturer's instructions for your operating your warmer.

When your scent has dissipated, you may place the bowl into your freezer for a few minutes. Remove from freezer and press down on one edge of the wax, and the wax will pop out.

Thanks

Jennifer

WARNING

Caution - This product is NON-EDIBLE.

Failure to follow instructions could result in fire hazard, injury, or smoke damage. Place in a well ventilated, tart approved warmer/burner. Follow manufacturer's instructions for use of your tart warmer/burner. Do not add water. Never heat on stove or any non-certified tart appliance. Do not allow flame to touch underside of melt pot. Do not heat if pot contains less than 1/2" of wax. Keep out of reach of children and pets. NEVER LEAVE A BURNING/ELECTRIC WARMER UNATTENDED.

?Not sure how big your tarts are......

Include - Suggested use ______ in the above warning.

Not sure if I would recommend that they put it in the freezer. You don't want to be responsible for them leaving it in for a long time, and possibly plugging it in or using a tealite on a frozen/cold tart appliance.

I never assume the consumer will follow all the directions that are on the sticker. Just seems like people do crazy things. That's why I include Non-Edible.

This is just my opinion. Others might have thoughts......