incense cones ?

nursenancy

My cones are not burning very well. They burn for a few minutes, then go out. Anybody else have this problem? I made them with 1 oz DPG, 1 oz FO - the same as my sticks, which I'm really happy with. Can't sell them like this.

Am i doing something wrong?

Have they been air drying for at least 2 weeks?

I've made them a couple of times and never had any trouble with them but sticks are the way to go, IMO. The cones soak up so much more oil than the sticks. I think you get a lot more bang for your buck with the sticks. :)

If you are talking the chubby cones, they have to be air dried for a long time like Donna says. After 24 hours they can feel and look dry, but they're not inside. That's why when the flame gets to the chubbier part, it goes out. I used to make custom scented incense with these but had to quit because customers hated the long time for them to really dry.:sad2:

Some of them have been made for a couple of months. I think they're as dry as they're gonna be. I was wondering whether the oil gets all the way through because it looks like they have sort of a core when they burn. In any case, I'm glad I'm not alone and I think I'm just gonna scrap the cones and just make sticks.

Thanks for the replies :cheesy2:

Any preference on a supplier for the incense sticks?

I have several 1 oz. sample bottles of oils that have been discontinued by the supplier. After seeing this post......thought it would be a good way to use up the discontinued samples.

Any thoughts on how many incense stick 1 oz. of fragrance would make?

Does anyone have a tip on the best way to soak the sticks with the DPG and fragrance?

Bernadette - Thanks - maybe I'll try it with more DPG. what happened when you used 50/50? Burn problems too?

SherryL - I have a tall thin glass bottle (kind of like a vase) that I use. I do like 4 dozen sticks at a time with 1 oz FO, 1oz DPG and I add marbles to the bottle after I put my sticks in to raise the level of the oil. Then whatever's leftover I use for cones. Maybe I should add some DPG to the mix before I start the cones.

More experimenting for me, I guess.....

Nursenancy, yes, 50-50 just wouldn't work at all. I had to hold the flame to it forever to get it going, then burned for about 45 seconds - period!:mad: By adding more DPG, soaking overnight, then putting screening on top of a pan and setting the cones out on the screening to dry, they work perfectly everytime:yay: , and burn down to the very bottom.

When I was making incense I soaked the sticks on a cookie sheet. I also had the cookie sheet covered in foil thinking somehow I was protecting the sheet from the mix, but the oil always ended up underneath the foil eventually. :rolleyes2 I bought mine from SOS because they were the least expensive i could find at the time. That was several years ago; don't know how they compare on pricing now.

• 1 month later...

I am so glad I found this message!! I logged in to ask the same question!! My son and I have been working on incense cones all summer long (Bought all materials from SOS), we were using 1:1 ratio's and just didnt seem work either we noticed they were not burning properly.

We also tried more fragrance but that only caused the cones to smoke even more. I am going to try 2:1 ration (DGP/Fragrance)

Does anyone else have any suggestions??

nursenancy, sorry to hear you're still having problems with these. A couple of things; if you live in an area of high humidity, it's going to take lots longer for these cones to dry out. They are thick and it can take forever because of it, and of course must be air dryed. Also, they are supposed to leave a trail of smoke as they turn to ash(I'm sure you know that). Maybe the reason I have such good luck is I've found the proper ratio for the fragrances I use, and I live in an area of about 9% average humidity, so they dry all the way thru pretty fast.

• 1 year later...
Bumping this up because I'm thinking of trying cones and wondering if some of you having trouble before solved the problems?

I had some cones that I had made up months ago in a basket and I tried one the other day. It burned all the way, so maybe I just needed to dry them longer. I may try it again today. I like the packaging options for cones, although none of my incense customers have ever asked for them.

I used 3:1 dpg to FO on those.

Thanks for the update. What has me interested in them now is this owl tea light holder I have. It's a rather large tea light holder, and the body has holes all in it so the glow of the tea light inside shines through. I was looking at that the other day and it dawned on me to try incense cones in it; it's too short to put sticks in, but a tiny plate for cones fit in it. So I have a cool "new" cone burner. :yay:

I may hop over to Moonworks and order a pound of that "Merlin's Forest" people are raving about and get some cones. I was about to place an order with www.incenseguru.com but I think I'd rather make them if I can be successful at it.

Edited by Darbla

• 13 years later...