Can A Room Get Scent Overload?

After months of testing different waxes and scents in my den (which is adjacent to my kitchen) and getting dismal results on HT, I decided to place my testers (using 8 oz. tins..3" dia.) in different rooms of the house. One in my bedroom which isn't large and one in the guest room and what do you know...I have HT!!!! :yay:. In fact, I can smell the one in my bedroom now which is across from the computer room. My question is...can a room (my den) get scent overload from too much testing in that particular room or was I simply just expecting a small container to fill a too large of an area? I know I've read here where some of your little candles can overwhelm a large room with HT and maybe I was having too high expectations..I don't know.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Karen

I don't think the room gets immune, possibly you have air flow issues. For my testing, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot get adequate HT results testing in some areas of my house. For instance in my living room I have air ducts on each end of the room and if I position my candles in that air flow area it seems to suck the scent right out of the room. I have found a few "spots" in the room that do work though. I have also found that testing when the AC is on doesn't work well for me either. Now in smaller rooms like our bedrooms and my office, I don't have a problem.

With that being said, I went thru testing woes when we tore down our old house 5 years ago and re-built our new one. The ceilings are higher and the rooms are larger which put me in a situation where I had to re-structure my testing parameters. Anything and everything would throw in my old house, so I was very challenged when I began testing in the new house :(

As far as the size of the candles . . .I cannot get one jelly jar sized candle to fill a large room to my satisfaction. I need wider mouth jar opening that provides a larger melt pool. That is my preference - I like my HT to hit me in the face when I walk into the room and float throughout . .

HTH

Brenda...air flow could be the problem. Our house is a ranch style and I could smell my candles in the hall but not strong in the den itself unless the air came on. I like HT to hit you in the face as well and maybe was expecting too much out of a small container. Who knows except I'm very happy with the HT in my smaller rooms. Until today I was at the point of throwing my hands up and saying "I Quit"! Now I'm excited again...:grin2:

In my current house the main living area is a combined living room, kitchen, and dining area and there are very tall vaulted ceilings that measure 14ft in the tallest areas. It is rare that I can find a scent that will throw well in this room in my smaller sized candles. But the larger apothecary style candles which are doubled wicked will throw well in there. In my bedroom on the other hand which still has about 10ft tall ceilings and is fairly large but not too bad, I can get most any of my smaller candles to throw. On a positive note though I am now a lot pickier about which scents I allow to make it through final testing. I would say only about 1 in 10 scents I test actually make it.They have to have a really awesome HT!

If a test a candle in my living room I get no HT however if I test the same candle in the master bedroom with the door close the HT is great. So I would say avoid testing in rooms with high ceilings and too many vents.

I agree with the air flow. If I have the a/c on in the living room I will have no scent throw. If I turn it off, scent will fill the room. Same thing when I'm testing at my sister's house. When we test in her living room we can't smell, but if we walk into other areas of the house we can smell the scent. It's like the air flow moves the scent somewhere else.

My point is stick to the rooms that you are having luck in. :cheesy2:

I dunno about scent overload, but if one is test burning in a room in one's home where you hang out most of the time, one can develop a case of the dreaded Candlenose. When I put testers in a room I DON'T hang out in all the time, I notice the fragrance a LOT more. Certainly air flow has a lot to do with how a scent will travel through a home, but candlenose is frequently the problem in my home. HTH :)

Ah...the dreaded ole candlenose...I bet that's part of the problem. The den is where I hang out all the time plus where I test all the time. Candles are now in other parts of the house and have terrific HT coming from them where I had nothing but a mere whiff in the den. Candlenose + air flow = one frustrated candlemaker. Now I know where to test..at least in my home and I'm not as pathetic as I thought I was....:yay: