What Did I Get?

chuck_35550

Ok, I made my usual gm recipe with pumpkin spice fragrance and boy was it beautiful! I never gel my gm soaps but this time placed the mold in a 100 degree oven and baked for an hour. Needless to say, the soap gelled and I figured that after 24 hours of cooling would look more lilke my normal gm soap. Hmmm it still looks strange on the top but the rest of the bar looks normal. Ideas?

It reminds me of a glycerin bar. Kind of clear looking but not typical in appearance for milk soap. I just had a brain fart and wanted to see what would happen if it gelled. It may turn out to be good soap. Does anyone else do this with their gm?

Maybe no one responded because that question should have come with a picture. How can I help you figure out what happened when the only description is "reminds me of a glycerin bar"?

The "Thanks for the help guys" comment was uncalled for. If you want help in the future I suggest you not be so snarky in your posts asking for help. You're likely to be ignored on purpose next time. Your posts are 6 hours apart during a part of my day that I work. Not everyone on this forum lives in your time zone.

Sorry about that. The basic question is: Do you gel your gm soap? If so, could you kindly give me some base line results to make a comparison with my own results? If not, that's ok. I don't post very often but usually try to provide a pic when one is needed. I know that most people don't gel their gm soap; so it was to be expected that there would be little response. Just fooling around. I do work a full time job as a counselor to troubled children and families; 30 years now. Snarky is kind of a cool word. Thanks for your responses.

Steve

it overheated. you rarely have to add heat to a milk soap.

overheating can lead to odd textures on top (sometimes like alligator skin!), fissures in soap, oozing, pockmarks, jsut about anything you can think of.

this one is a freebie, but your attitude isn't working for you - maybe try a different approach instead of more of the same. next time I must move along.

I can't post a pic. My camera was stolen out of my house and I haven't gotten a replacement yet. I am interested to know why you gel yours and maybe you could post a pic of how your bars look. If it wouldn't be too much trouble. I apologize but I just don't have a way to take a pic.

Steve

I recently had the same thing happen. I got a new Kelsi mold, which I love, decided to put in the oven for an hour on lowest setting then turned off the oven and just let it stay in there overnight.

The next morning the top of it looked like aligator skin, when I took it out of the mold, there were parts that looked like clear glycerin soap as an outer layer. It was very strange. Sorry, don't have a picture to share because I trashed them.

I am glad to know that it was probably due to overheating, I didn't think of that. My question is does overheating ruin the soap or just ruin the appearance?

Well, I used a bar this morning and it was great. Lots of creamy lather and had all the properties I ususally associate with goats milk soap. I took my soap out after an hour of 100 degrees and there wasn't an alligator skin look to it but a more translucent appearance. I did spritz the tops with 98 alcohol to prevent ash and this might have contributed to the appearance as well. Otherwise, I just might keep gelling all my soaps ( I have a Kelsei too).