Your Shop

What kind of shortcuts have you tried, to be more efficient in your candle work room or shop?

I`m downsizing and am not making votives anymore so I dont need the extra tables, molds, pins,etc...so, just making jars candles and maybe tarts.

I have too many pans and pitchers and I`m throwing them out.

As far as my wax machine, table, jars., what do you suggest I should set this up? I`m at my wits end tring to come up with the best way. I`m ADD and I can waste more time getting nothing finished. Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the advise, but, they are pretty beat up. Just wanting to start fresh, you know?

Theres a guy here several years ago(?)that posted how he set up his shop. His wife and kids helped him and he only did jars. I printed out how he had set up his shop almost like a assembly line. I was very impressed how he did it. Cant fine it:confused: . Can anyone remember him? Cant remember his name darn it.

Oh well, I`ll just have to dig deeper.lol

Wow wwjacks, your close to a few candle suppliers!! Have you tried that big fragrance company down there? ( the name ecapes me) ?

I can offer you what works for us.

The pictures here are of our old shop. In our old (and new) we have "stations" set up. A wicking area, a pouring area, and a label area, then a stock area. The metal bakers racks are a life saver. They have big cookie sheets in them. We work on the cookie sheet, then slide it in the rack to cool. We mainly use it for votives and melts, and pillars. Every station has everything needed. The wicking area has gthe wicks, safety stickers, glue gun, all in labelled drawers (the plastic stand up cabinet style.) Pouring has the melters, the oils lined up alphabetically, burners, scales... the dye is in those plastic tool cabinets with the little drawers you get at the harware store. Each drawer is labelled, and in alphabetical order. Our label area the same thing, all the labels are file folders, A (all stickers for scents starting with A, then B...and so on.) The less you move around your space, the more time you will save. Keep it clean (we do a clean up every Friday in our shop, take the last hour of the day to scrap tables, clean our pitchers, vacuum the floors.... put away supplies left out during the week...) Then Monday everything is fresh and ready to go! Carts are a life saver as well. We use the carts you can buy at the restaurant supply places. When a set of candles is ready to be labelled, they goe on the cart to be moved from pouring to labelling. If we arn't getting to it right away, then at least it's out of the way. Also we use the carts to pick orders.

The flow of the shop... Starting at the back door is "start" skids of wax, drums of scent, cases of glassware, moving through the process as you move towards the front of the shop. First bench is wicking, then a few pouring tables, then labels, then stock shelves, then the store. So the front staff can just go back a few steps to see if we have a french vanilla jar that a customer is asking for.... without running all over the shop.

I think it's important to note I do this full time, and have a small staff. When I first started out though, I used a bedroom in our house. I covered the floor with cardboard to absorb the wax drips, the the tables with butcher paper. Set up was the same really, little tables.

I'll see if I can find a few pictures for you.

post-634-139458456065_thumb.jpg

post-634-139458456066_thumb.jpg

Wow Chris, that is awesome!!!! I could only wish to be that organizied. A very good set-up.

My husband gave me the thumps up today to move in the shop he builded for me. Every thing is disorganizied right now. I need shelfs.

Do you just pour out the wax you need, then mix in a pitcher and pour what you need?

Thanks for posting.

Checked out your website..very nice!