Oily cured soap

Jeana

I have a batch of soap that has cured for about 2 or 3 months. It is very oily still. I've had new soaps a little oily but after cure the oiliness goes away. This one is a good soap, nice bubbles and all, but it bugs me how oily this is. Has anyone else had this happen? If there isn't anything else wrong with it, is it a big deal to sell it?

It was an experimental recipe that I won't be using again.

I have had this happen too. It was when I used a recipe with a higher % of canola. The overall bar was still a bit soft after curing 6 weeks and it was a bit oily. I have never gone back to that recipe, and it hasn't happened since.

I'm sure it was the fact that I used flax seed oil. Every time I have used that oil it messes up my soap. I could have backed off the FO too. It is honeysuckle and really strong. I'll look for the actual recipe.

Would you guys still sell it? Like I said it a feels great, nice bubbles, and looks good. It is even a hard bar, it is just kind of oily when you pick it up.

I, personally, wouldn't sell it. I like to know what my soap is going to do and, with that being so oily, I'd be concerned about it in the long run. What do your numbers look like?

edited to add: They are beautiful bars, btw!