Votive help

Anna

Well I lit my first votive,with a trim wick to a 1/4 inch,and the wick was burning fine until it reach a full melt pool,and OMG the wick had a huge mushroom on it,and it was about one inch long.I trim it ,and it is burning allright again.It is made with Peak's votive blend 130,44-24 z wick,and Peaks pink sugar fo.Do I need to wick down?

Thanks,Anna

Hi there,

I have had lots of problems with mushrooming, but I figured something out this weekend. Trimming the wick to 1/4" before lighting is fine, but once some of the wax is burned away at the wick's base (about 20 to 30 minutes later) I had to trim it again. The votive was lit for about 6 hours after that and only started to form a small mushroom after about 5 hours.

Once you get a full wax pool you should be fine with a 1/4" wick. The mushrooming should be minimal for several hours. I did use 34-40 SP zinc wicks. They are smaller than the 44's, so the behavior may be a bit different.

I was under the impression that you need to wick UP for heavy/sugary/vanilla FOs. But regardless, if you're getting a torch when burned properly(trimmed wick in tight votive holder) you'll probably need to go down a size. I rarely use zinc because I don't like mushrooming. Howewer many here that do use them, use 36z. Test different sizes and see what happens.

After I trimed the zinc wick,it still was like a touch,so I tested another votive (same fo)with A LX 10,it has been about 2 hrs,and it has a big mushroom.The flame is about 1/2 in high.Could my problem be that I used 1 1/2 ozs of fo per lb?It is in a tight fitting votive holder.

Anna