can i filter my lye water?

dogmom1

strange question for sure. i mixed it this morning and put the container in a bigger one that has a cover. there was a tiny speck of something on the inside of the cover and of course it landed in the lye water.

i can just pour it down the drain and make more, but i was wondering if there is any way to filter it.

tia

Sure! Filter into another container. I've used a paper towel to filter out floaties that were probably pieces of silk, but at the time I couldn't be sure all the lye had dissolved. It took forever and I'd probably go with something other than a paper towel that isn't likely to absorb much, yet it can't be something the lye will react to either. I thought about trying hose next, just never ran into the situation again or maybe I did and just dumped it instead out of being pissy.

first i'll try stirring it to see if it comes up near the top and i can catch it with a q-tip. i'm not usually that lucky tho! that's a great idea sue.

it's a small batch, so it's not a lot to filter. i was thinking of pouring it thru a plastic coffee filter with filter paper liner. i'll lose some tho, as you said scented, plus have replace the plastic for coffee.

whatever the speck is, it's on the bottom of the beaker, maybe first if i pour into another container, it will stay behind on the bottom. or maybe i'll just chuck it and make more.

i'm new to this, so mixing the lye water is still a bit intimidating, tho better each time. with 2 dogs and 3 cats, we always have to do "animal patrol" before i start. :laugh2:

thanks for answering!

I get this a lot. Save yourself some time and get a strainer. I have the metal one with very close mesh. Like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strainer

Just out of habit I strain every batch now. I use it when I am pouring the lye/water into the oils. Makes it much faster and makes sure it is totally free of undesolved lye pieces.

I'm the same way with my animals. I like them all outside if I'm making soap. We have a really old cat that jumped on the counter when I was making soap one time. Her tail dipped into the oils (plain, no lye yet) she freaked out and oil was everywhere. I am so greatful that it wasn't the lye she got into, I would have felt so bad. But now everyone goes out before I start.

sue, the q-tip actually worked, thanx!

jeana (hope that's right) i will be buying a strainer, that's a great idea....... and making sure it's not aluminum as scented pointed out!

the batch is all wrapped up on the table. smelled awesome, CS violet lime.

thanx to all for your help!

Their stores look like they are limited to central and south Jersey locations, though never heard of a few of these towns. I lived for a while in Mount Holly (east of Cherry Hill).

Cherry Hill2234 Route 70 W, Ste 6Cherry Hill, NJ 08002 (856) 786-7671

View Map and Store Hours Cinnaminson141 Route 130 South, Suite NCinnaminson, NJ 08077 (609) 581-8121

View Map and Store Hours Hamilton380 Marketplace BlvdHamilton, NJ 08691 (609) 520-8878

View Map and Store Hours Princeton3371 US Highway 1, Ste 105Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 (609) 383-2950

View Map and Store Hours Mays Landing4215 Black Horse Pike, Ste 18May's Landing, NJ 08330 (856) 293-8720

View Map and Store Hours Millville2128 N 2nd StMillville, NJ 08332

(856) 778-9655

View Map and Store Hours Moorestown1170 Nixon DrMount Laurel, NJ 08054

(609) 465-5244

View Map and Store Hours Rio Grande3201 Route 9 SRio Grande, NJ 08242

(856) 740-1523

View Map and Store Hours Turnersville3501 Route 42, Ste C2Turnersville, NJ 08012 (856) 227-8834

View Map and Store Hours Deptford1500 Almonesson Rd, Ste 11Woodbury, NJ 08096

thank you so much heidijo! i'm more on the north side of central jersey, but when i saw the locations down south, i realized they might have stores in philly, where my daughter lives. they have several in the philly area, which is great since i'm down there every few weeks! :yay:

i wonder if anyone else that lives around me would be interested. i know a few people who are fairly close, i'm pm them and at least offer.

I should warn you that some Ross stores are bigger than others, even within the same city. The one I saw them in was quite large, but it's like TJ Maxx, you can get some really good bargains! The big store had some really nice designer clothes, though another small store in one of the outlying suburbs is so bare and reminds me of a cheap, unkempt store. I think they may stock based on surrounding area. I think Philly or Cherry Hill should hopefully be good ones.

I'm off to Lowes tomorrow to buy my first can of lye, and Big Lots to buy a big crock pot.

my 12 hour work days keep me away from everything, but i'm off today, so catching up on posts.

thanks, i'll be sure we go to one of the bigger stores.

did you get your lye? i have to order online, no one sells lye around here anymore. i have enough to keep me busy for quite a while!

so you're doing crock pot soaping. i haven't checked all the new threads, maybe you already posted about it. have you started yet? i love the idea of having the soap ready to use faster, but something about the CP has caught me, it's amazing to watch it happen.

my last batch traced in about 7 minutes using a whisk. good thing i didn't try the stick blender!

so if you haven't posted,

I should warn you that some Ross stores are bigger than others, even within the same city. The one I saw them in was quite large, but it's like TJ Maxx, you can get some really good bargains! The big store had some really nice designer clothes, though another small store in one of the outlying suburbs is so bare and reminds me of a cheap, unkempt store. I think they may stock based on surrounding area. I think Philly or Cherry Hill should hopefully be good ones.

I'm off to Lowes tomorrow to buy my first can of lye, and Big Lots to buy a big crock pot.

I found the Rooto lye crystals at a local Ace hardware store. No, I haven't made my first batch yet, but seems like it's all I can think about these days (was laid off last month and jobs in my field are not to be found). So have the time and need to read up and compare prices on equipment and materials. Can't seem to get a crockpot at any of the thrift stores, so Big Lot is the best price so far. May try a 1 lb. batch in the next day or so in the oven before purchasing crockpot, but not sure whether I want to give up my ss stock pot to soaping:cheesy2:

I have olive pomace and castor oils so far, and hope to buy 1 gal of coconut oil tomorrow on 20% off day for $20. Though saw a 25-lb container of Vo-Pop popcorn oil for $35 that had coconut oil, artificial butter flavor, and color added with beta carotene. I think I read on the Miller Soaping site that people use this, get lovely yellow color, but not sure if everything is going to smell like butter. Anyone ever use butter flavored coconut oil?