Help: new to making candles and want to try making soy candles!

Okay, so I really want to get into soy candles. As much as I've read on them, they seem to be easier to work with as apposed to other types and have many good qualities about them.

I've read lots of stuff about now to make them, etc., but I would like someone who has dealt with them to help me out.

Could someone post a sheet on here telling me everything I need to know? I really really really want to do this as a hobby & possibly start selling once I get it down :)

I would like to start using mason jars to start out with.

Your help is MUCH appreciated and VERY needed!!

That's what I would do...buy a kit with everything you need to start. Then go from there. Peak is where I got my first kit...mine was the parafin votive kit but they also did have a soy one. Good luck...and watch out...the hobby grows from a kit easily. And is spendy, but hey I love it. I am a nurse in my "regular" life...so this is a nice escape and stress reliever.

Welcome! Your first order of business is to read the veggie wax forum and to learn how to use the search tool. Because candlemaking has many variables, it's difficult to come up with a "cake mix" approach. Read, read, read and study a lot before making your decisions.:read: Scoping out supplier & manufacturer sites for product information and selection is quite helpful. Many offer kits, samples, etc. and lots of great tips to help new folks get their feet wet.:)

Could someone post a sheet on here telling me everything I need to know?
As you will discover, candlemaking isn't just melting some wax and adding fragrance and a wick and VOILA!! Yankmee Candles has new competition!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:It takes study, MUCH testing and experience to make consistantly GOOD quality candles, especially using vegetable waxes. Each of us must do our own homework and testing. It's a long road from beginning to selling, but there's loads of information here at CT plus great folks to help you out when you get in a jam. :)

they seem to be easier to work with as apposed to other types and have many good qualities about them

I agree that soy has many good qualities. I'm not sure I agree with the "easier to work with" part. That hasn't been my experience anyway. I found paraffin to be much more consistent. After I switched to soy, I learned a lot of new swear words. :cheesy2:

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my first soy kit from Lonestar..I think it comes with 10 lbs of C3 wax, jars, pour pot, wick bars, etc. - plenty to start you on your way. And, I agree with Deb..my repertoire of swear words has dramatically increased. My DH has learned to scatter when I'm doing candles :tiptoe: . But..I love it..mainly because it is challenging and rewarding.

Have fun - that's the key!

Karen

Okay, so I really want to get into soy candles. As much as I've read on them, they seem to be easier to work with as apposed to other types and have many good qualities about them.

I've read lots of stuff about now to make them, etc., but I would like someone who has dealt with them to help me out.

Could someone post a sheet on here telling me everything I need to know? I really really really want to do this as a hobby & possibly start selling once I get it down :)

I would like to start using mason jars to start out with.

Your help is MUCH appreciated and VERY needed!!

Soy is not easier to work with. I'd suggest you do a lot of reading and research before getting started. Then, look for a supplier nearest you, buy a kit and dive in. Be prepared to go broke in the process cuz this ain't cheap and it ain't easy in that it takes time to learn this craft. It won't happen overnight and neither will your profits. Profits can take years to realize.

We've all put in long hours and lots of $$$ researching and testing to figure it out. And we've all made sure to have our insurance in place before selling. I'm not trying to be difficult but we can't tell you everything we know for many different reasons - i.e., what works for one might not work for you hence the importance of you testing for yourself; you have to be willing to do your part too without expecting us to spoon feed you all our hard earned knowledge but we can and will help along the way as you start your research and testing. Lots of the questions you may have or problems you may encounter can more than likely be found somewhere in an old thread too. Make sure to keep good notes on all your testing. It will help. Good luck and have fun.