Aroma Beads & Colorants?

Piedpipurr

I've just started playing around with aroma beads and have used liquid colorants. Everything I have read about aroma beads says to use liquid colorants. I want to use Candlescience because I can pick up there. Their liquid colors are sort of limited. I do like the colors of the Reddig-Glo Dye Chips.

Is there anyway I can make the dye chips work in aroma beads? I haven't even tried the chips in wax yet, just doing some investigating.

Thanks!

Carole

Hi,

I would think that the chips would not work. You would have to melt them and it seems like that would clog the beads and make it so they would not absorb properly.

If all else fails, buy a color wheel so you can mix the colors they carry to create new colors. I also do a lot of color variances in mine. I have a Pear fo that I do two batches of beads with each batch having a different shade of green and maybe some clear beads. Then after the oils and colors have absorbed, I mix them together. It gives them a really cool look.

HTH

Michelle

No advice on types of color to use, but wondering if anyone else has problems with the color bleeding back out of the beads when they encounter high temps? I sent some to my hubby and he said that the dye came off a little bit on the plastic bag. I know I didn't use too much and just wondered if it had something to do with the heat.....

I just put mine in the cello bags and don't have any problem. I wonder if maybe they are being stored someplace where they get too hot??? I can't see you use too much color, but maybe that could be the culprit too.

How long do they sit in the bags usually before they are sold? Mine sell pretty quick so maybe that's why.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Michelle

Do not use the dye chips!!! I actually tried it. I melted a tiny bit and poured it over them and shook them up really good. They clumped up and stuck together. It was a mess to say the least. I had to just about chisel them apart little by little to get them out of the jar I was soaking them in with the FO. Plain old food coloring works well for me, or the B&B dyes. HTH:smiley2:

I get my beads from aromabeadsonline and mix about a cupful to a jar with about 2 tablespoons of FO and drops of the color to desired color. You are right, it does not mix real well, but you kind of stir that up, add the beads and shake every 30 minutes or so to keep them mixed up as all the FO and color will sink. As it soaks up, it soaks up everything. Just every so often give them a good shake until it is all absorbed. HTH

Just an after thought....., if some beads (I have only used theirs and they soak like crazy) are harder to soak up, maybe try mixing a little polysorb 20 with the FO before adding the color. Of course I have never tried this but it sounds logical.