finally, first CP soap... i think!

dogmom1

hi everyone,

just wrapped up the shoebox. i'm a little worried 'cause as it went from very light trace to more like medium, i saw a few tiny light specks, just a few, but i'm wondering if it could have been lye? i ran my recipe through soap calc and believe i weighed everything accurately. i left the superfatting setting at 5%.

i used eugenia's room temp recipe, lard, olive oil, coconut and castor oils. FO but no color.

i guess time will tell.......

if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know!

time to go to bed, i have to get up for work at 4 am and it's 11:30 pm now!!

TIA,

ei

Hope it isn't white lye flecks, because your lye should have dissolved in the water.

Without your recipe and likely a photo of a finished bar it would be hard to tell you what any white was. Right now I wouldn't worry about it and just feel good for getting your first batch behind you. You'll get to see how it feels soon enough!

my lye water was crystal clear, nothing in it at all. looked just like drinking water.... but you're right, i'm glad it's behind me either way.

thx!

Hope it isn't white lye flecks, because your lye should have dissolved in the water.

Without your recipe and likely a photo of a finished bar it would be hard to tell you what any white was. Right now I wouldn't worry about it and just feel good for getting your first batch behind you. You'll get to see how it feels soon enough!

my lye water was crystal clear, nothing in it at all. looked just like drinking water.... but you're right, i'm glad it's behind me either way.

thx!

Make sure you post some pictures!! Cause I wanna see your first batch..

sue, thanks for the welcome... it sure is an addiction!

scented and lorrie, i can't find the cable to attach the camera to the computer, i am still searching. i put it somewhere "safe". :laugh2:

smittenheart and all the rest, it actually came out really nice. no zap only one day later. i also took a small piece and washed my hands, it was fine. smells wonderful, hope it lasts.

it's not a lot to look at, very plain, but creamy looking and i think a nice fine grain, tho nothing to compare!

i need to get FOs. i only have CS oils and have only found two of them that are definitely OK to use in CP, lavender, which is what i used for this batch, and sister kya posted that violet lime is also ok.

there are probably more, but right now i'm chicken to try them. and there are SO many in the "scents that ROCK" sticky , it's kinda overwhemling to even start looking.

thanks everyone for your interest and your help!

ei

I have cp'ed these fo's from CS with no problems, there might be more but these are off of the top of my head.

Violet lime (my fav)

Himalayan Bamboo

Cranberry Marmalade

Jack Frost

thanks for the info! i love violet lime too, the candles are awesome, and the cranberry marmalade. i'll definitely try the others too. since i do soy candles, i only have "3 leave scents" right now, but need to put in an order soon.