pyrex question

carey

Help... I have that big 4 lb. pour pot. I am wondering if I melt 3 lbs of wax in the 4 lb pot as double broiler, can I pour like 8 oz in the pyrex then add color, fragrance then pour in a container? Or am I making it worse by pouring it twice?

If that is ok, so I can keep the wax on the stove boiling while I am mixing the 1st one then go back to the stove to pour for another container?

I figure with the pyrex, it would be easier to measure!

TIA!

Help... I have that big 4 lb. pour pot. I am wondering if I melt 3 lbs of wax in the 4 lb pot as double broiler, can I pour like 8 oz in the pyrex then add color, fragrance then pour in a container? Or am I making it worse by pouring it twice?

If that is ok, so I can keep the wax on the stove boiling while I am mixing the 1st one then go back to the stove to pour for another container?

I figure with the pyrex, it would be easier to measure!

TIA!

The answer to your first question is yes, you can pour out what you need and sit the pot back in the water. I would turn it down from boiling though to where you just have the water bubbling ever so slightly, that will keep your wax hot enough for your next pour. Just don't heat it above what the manufacturer suggests and pour it slowly into your pyrex. Heating soy too hot and pouring quickly will incorporate air bubbles into your wax and will likely cause you problems when it is setting up. Also, you should be measuring your wax by weight. Hope that helps.

Thank you! I read that 20 liquid oz is 1 pound of wax so will try that.. since I have such a huge pot. I wished I got the 1 lb pot but that would be too small. I want to try coffee cans but I can't figure out how you guys put a handle on it but pyrex is a fine to try - they're cheap as well.

I have found that I pour with less mess when I use the big pour pitcher. I tend to dibble a TON more with the smaller pot. I say you are better off getting used to the bigger one. It is easy once you get the hang of it. Why switch pouring tools in the middle of everything and make more work for yourself by adding steps?

The reason I wanted to use the pyrex so I can mix different FO for each candle.. if there is another way I can do that, lmk! I wanted to try to make 8 oz candles, each with different FO to practice with the wax from the big pot.

I understand now. I have accumulated quite a few pour pots and I have a presto pot that I use to quickly melt a bunch of wax. Then I transfer into the pour pots to add the other stuff. You might want to look into getting a presto pot. They have them at wal-mart for $20. It is called the Presto Kitchen Kettle, I think. You can melt about 8 pounds of wax at once, and it is super fast.

Carey, that's what I do. I melt enough wax for however many jars I'm going to be testing (my wax is pre-portioned per my formula, exactly for the size jars I'm using, it's some messy stuff!) and I've marked my pyrex with a sharpie marker so I know how full to fill it for a single jar. Add my FO per my recipe along with dye and fill.

I'm sure there is a better/quicker way, but I haven't stumbled on it yet. I'm sure once I'm through testing this specific jar it'll be simpler.