Cocoa Butter too old?

jessiec

Hi everyone! After a very long and difficult pregnancy, I am finally ready to get back into soaping. My problem is that I have just come across a bucket of unrefined cocoa butter that has been in my basement. It still smells and looks wonderful. I hate to waste it, but it's "best used by" date is 06/11/2008...... Ugggh! I know that fresh is best, but my frugal nature is preventing me from throwing it away. I am tormented. *shudder*

Has anyone here ever used an old cocoa butter like this to soap with? If so, how did it go for ya?

~also, this is just for personal use.

TIA

I have had butters in my freezer for years that are still great. If it still smells good then use it. They put the date on when they sell it for one year no matter how long they have it. So lets say they had it for a year before they sold to you then it's 2 years old or maybe they just got it in so it's only a year. Who knows??? Use till it smells bad but keep in the freezer so it will last even longer. JMHO

Thank you both for the responses. I put the baby to bed and went right to work. I made two logs of Lovespell with it and it smells so good! I tried to swirl neon pink, blueberry pop, and grape. Swirling in a log mold is tricky for me, but I can't wait to uncover it tomorrow and see how it turned out!!

I hope it's OK if I ask question related to something said above:

If you've had it stored in the freezer, does it have to be allowed to sit out a few days to get back to room temperature before you can soap it?