lip balm melting

Just keep adding more beeswax until you find a formula that works. I use seven different oils (inlcuding 3 liquid oils) in my beeswax lip balms and used to have the same problem with them melting in your pocket. I added more beeswax and have come up with a wonderful lip balm formula that stays firm in your pocket and still feels fantastic on your lips.

• 2 months later...
Just keep adding more beeswax until you find a formula that works. I use seven different oils (inlcuding 3 liquid oils) in my beeswax lip balms and used to have the same problem with them melting in your pocket. I added more beeswax and have come up with a wonderful lip balm formula that stays firm in your pocket and still feels fantastic on your lips.

Are you willing to share your formula?

See, this is a tricky one.

For me, I call my lip balms, lip butters. I don't want a lot of wax in my products. I warn customers that because it is not a commercial product, it is a softer one, and not to store it in their pockets, leave it sitting out in the sun etc.

We've been having long hot days here and my product is very soft while the temps are like this. In fact, I will not take them to markets if the temps are going to be over 30 (+90 for you guys) unless I know I can keep them in the shade.

You need to remember as well that even commercial products, on hot days get soft and mushy. They have tons of additives and fillers to make it a hard product - and even THEY will melt if left out.

People somehow expect that our products will behave like the commercial ones, but be better quality. Just like the whole preservative argument you can't have your cake and eat it too!

People don't seem to mind that mine are softer than the norm (in the summer), and I get a lot of repeat business.

Mine contain:

Beeswax

Jojoba oil

Hazelnut oil

Shea butter (and yes, the shea migrates to party with it's buddies, it's a visual thing - I tell customers this and they're ok with it)

keep in mind that some waxes and butters take a few days to reach peak hardness, so don't judge your concoctions too early!

Mine is as stable as anything commercial and doesn't get too soft in pockets on summer days. Sure they'll melt in the car in August, but they are fine pretty much any other time. Without those evil "additives and fillers".

Keep working and don't compromise if you don't want to. You CAN make a great product.

I LIKE to have my cake and eat it too = it's a win-win!

I started with the formula for Java Juice (I think it's called) from Majestic Mountain Sage. They send it when you buy the coffee butter so I don't think it's fair to share the details. They may send it upon request if you buy other stuff too.

Anyway, it's in the other building so this is a GUESS from memory:

<15% beeswax

~15% candelilla wax

~45% butters

remainder oils and flavor

Thanks! the 45% butters, would that be a brittle (like cocoa) or hard at room temp butter (shea).

Thanks so much for sharing that! :bow:

When my company all leaves and I have more than three seconds of time not devoted to making soap like a mad woman, I will have to play again. We moved across the country, and it is much hotter here, so it is playing havoc with my balms. If I can create a nice one that stays firm in this heat, I'll be a happy camper!

I cannot remember where I got this (I think from here?) I just had it copied onto a notebook and thought I would post it here as well for future reference, I got it recently. I *think* it might be from MMS if I am remembering correctly. Another poster posted it here.

20% Beeswax

25% solid at room temperature oil (Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Shea Butter, Lanolin, etc.)

15% brittle at room temperature oil (Regular Cocoa Butter, Palm Kernel Oil, etc.)

40% liquid oil at room temperature (Sweet Almond Oil, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, etc.)

Thanks! the 45% butters, would that be a brittle (like cocoa) or hard at room temp butter (shea).

As I said, they offer it with a purchase so I'm not going to say more.

Besides, you will need to tweak it to suit your needs anyway - so try some things and see what works for you.