remelting oops candles

Benna

I have gone candle making crazy! When I get time to slow down I will post some pics in the gallery.

I made a mold out of a cake pan. This mold holds 2 pounds of wax with 4 oz of FO. This gets the cold and hot throw that I want. This candle I made with my new mold came out so perfect! It set on my kitchen table until to day when I decided to burn it. I lit all 5 wicks and it was gorgeous! I had my back to it while I was working on other candles and after about 30 min I turned around to check on it and it was awful. The whole top looked like a bowl of wax about to pour out on the table. I am going to try smaller wicks because I like the look with 5. I might have to go to fewer wicks. Can I remelt this candle instead of using fresh wax and FO to make another candle to test wicks with? I also have an oops candle that I wicked with pretabed wicks, stucked the tab in the wax just when the bottom was hard enough to hold the tab. Well when I took it out of the mold…for some reason I cut the wicks off even with the candle on top thinking I was trimming the wick on the bottom. I would like to remelt and reuse that wax also.

Yes, you can remelt, depending on how high/how long you heat the wax to you may lose some of the FO (FO may burn off at higher temps).

FIVE WICKS??? How big is this mold? That sounds like a fire hazard to ME! :eek: I know it may look pretty but holy smokes that's a lot of fire goin' on there.

4oz. of FO to 2lbs. of wax is also waaaay more than most use are you sure the wax you have is able to handle that amount? Not many waxes are, just to let you know.

If I have to use more than 1oz. per lb. of wax, then I don't normally use that FO, it's just a waste of money IMO, unless it's an FO I really really love, and needs to be bumped up just a bit higher than 6% (to maybe 7 or 8 at the most), I just wont use it.

Other than that, yep, remelt reuse it all you want, I've remelted some two or three times (trying to get wicks right). ;)