Usps

LynnS

Is it safe to mail/ship candles with the PO in the summer on weekends. I want to get a order out to NC but not sure I want to mail it today. It is a decorating business so could be in her home.

With the PO I believe they don't load up their trucks till that morning when they deliver so I see no reason why that would be a problem but UPS like we have mentioned leave the packages in the trucks overnight.

I did find out if I mail USPS and do it on-line shipping is cheaper and they pick up. Will sign up for that but if it is CC only I will not use mine.Pay Pal yes but not my credit card where we are getting ripped off.

Thanks

LynnS

It really depends on what type of candle you sell, where they are going, and how fast you want them to get there.

Mainly retailers will only ship on Mondays to prevent candles from sitting in storage over the weekend.

HTH

Tristan

It is soy candles.8 ounce JJ. I am not going to pay extra for a overnight or next day delivery so it wouldn't be at least till Saturday before it arrives.

All my orders to anywhere I mail/ship gets to the destination in 2 days. At least with the customers who keep in touch with me and let me know when it arrives.

I have sent orders to FLA, NC, CT and Missouri. The other states the customers never let me know when it arrives but later say they love the candles

The only place it take 3 days is Missouri but that could be the PO in her area. FLA from Ohio gets there in 2 days.:yay:

If this is a home I would be comfortable.This person has been buying for months small wholesale orders. When she orders it is the order and how are you but IF I ask a question I never get a answer. Not sure I will get a answer if I ask "is her home or business" where it will be shipped.

Thanks

LynnS

During summer months I always mail on Monday's and priority mail only because of the heat here in SE Texas. I have never had a problem with "Melted" candles and I have shipped everywhere in the US.

Oh, and newspaper is excellent packing material as it helps to insulate the candles. Peanuts, not so much, plus newspaper is cheaper too!

99% of my customers pay with Credit Card, so using PP shipping is out (though I would much rather do that). So I just take all my boxes to the PO (bummer!). Plus my shopping cart is set up for real-time USPS shipping so my postage 99% of the time is right on the money.

HTH

Carrie

Candlelady

I have use newspaper.Yes it is cheap and my candles arrive safely. I always wondered if ANYONE else did this. I didn't want to feel tacky and cheap. I sometimes use bubble wrap but most orders get wrapped in newpaper. A large order I use bubble wrap and a few peanuts as filler.Wrap with newspaper and use peanuts for filler. Works great!!!!!!! :)

What I was told at the PO.The packages will not sit on a truck.They will leave my PO then go about 25 miles to a BIG town. From there it is air travel.Then to the destination.So from what I was told no reason to worry. Still I have some qualms. I am going to e-mail the shop owner and tell her to look for it. If she lives close to her business she could go by and pick it up.

Like Michelle said the PO will be closed on Monday.And oh how I know.I am in a delimma. Husband is having his left leg operated on Tues(the right one was 2 week ago).I need to board my dog. All kennels are full AND none(if any openings) will be able to let me drop him off on Monday(closed).These 2 weeks is when I got 3 orders and needing to get the candles made and out. These last 2 weeks have been so Hectic!!!!!!!!

One other thing about the PO.Husband was told to go online and do my shipping. It is cheaper. He was told the $13.95 large flat rate would be $12.95.Anyone else know that???? I have to assume for the other flat rates too. I think they felt sorry for my husband carrying in 6 boxes at a time weighing almost 50 lbs.each.

LynnS

Yes I am checking into online.Have them pick up at my house. Hey to save the customer a few dollars makes them happy(me too). On my site I could lower cost of shipping with the flat rate boxes. I use those all the time.

I can get 8 JJ in the medium flat rate box and it is $10.35. I mailed 3 candles yesterday in a mailing box. I think it could hold maybe 5-6 candles but you have to consider the weight. That box to ship only 3 candles was $6.95. :shocked2:

LynnS

Yes Husband has blockages in this leg and blockages he HAD in the other leg. Last year he had the same thing done so doctor wasn't happy.It takes over 3 hours. Last year it took 5 hours and doctor was ready to collapse. He now has 4 stents in each leg.

What causes this is SMOKING.So now he has no other choice but to quit.Doctor said this is it.No more leg surgery and possibly a bypass. Also these leg problems could result in him losing his legs.So he is done smoking and I am going through withdrawal (along with him).:sad2: :rolleyes2 :laugh2::):cheesy2::(

A little of all of these emotions. It is hard believe me but glad he is listening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mainly retailers will only ship on Mondays to prevent candles from sitting in storage over the weekend.

HTH

Tristan

Yep, that is true! I ship only Monday for out of state or more than a state away (1-2 day ships) when the temps on either end are over 80*. If the temps are over 95* on either end I simply won't ship until I see a forecast where it clears some. It's frustrating but I do it to protect them since if I ship in the summer I will NOT replace candles that are melted...it's a ship at your own risk kinda thing. I prefer 1-2 day methods for this reason. Sadly as a wholesaler it puts me in a pickle but I'd rather their goods arrive safe than melted. :) USPS is a good summer choice but don't forget that the item may be on the carriers vehicle which isn't AC'd for an entire day before they deliver too.

99% of my customers pay with Credit Card, so using PP shipping is out (though I would much rather do that). So I just take all my boxes to the PO (bummer!).

Carrie, you can pay for and print shipping labels through the USPS web site, and then have your carrier pick them up at your door for free. You don't need to use PP shipping for that.

Carrie, you can pay for and print shipping labels through the USPS web site, and then have your carrier pick them up at your door for free. You don't need to use PP shipping for that.

that's not in ALL areas, so everybody needs to check first before they plan on that. In my town we are not able to use the carrier pick-up feature.

I mailed both orders. Both are fine.The one in CT had some seepage but she wiped them and they are OK. 2 things like she mentioned could be the FO or to much fragrance.

I will be receiving a gift this coming week since all arrived safe and no other problems. I kinda switched her to USPS since she was hesitant. Some things she ordered broke in the past but so far we have been lucky. I think it depends on the PO and how some handle them.I make sure all are labeled FRAGILE.:)

LynnS