Ice chip pillars

Has anyone done any of the Pillars where you put Ice chips in the mold? What is the secret behind these. My nephew wants to make some, but he's not sure of how to make them, and he wants to know what is done about any water trapped in the candle once cool. We've never made any of these, so we are no help to him.

I've tried it. It's NOT easy. You have to let the candle come back up to room temp (or close to it) to prevent cracking and I suggest making a core first for ease of unmolding and burning if you choose to burn.

I did made some years ago but they were a PITA and I didn't really like the look. I thought they looked kind of amateurish. But done properly (by someone with more patience than me), they would probably be cool. I think they are tough to get to burn properly though. Maybe you could make them into forever candles.

Easiest way is to have a core candle (taper is probably best). Secure it in your mold. Load ice around the core. Pour very hot wax into the mold. The wax will melt the ice and the wax sets up quickly enough that you should be able to remove it pretty quickly too ... maybe within an hour or two or when it wants. Careful when you remove it as water will pour out. In addition, you'll need to do some poking into some cavaties to make sure there's no trapped water. Let it dry out or insert it back into the mold and pour in another color to fill the gaps. Actually I think they're pretty easy to make.