Oh Lord! Cracked soap!

beau's mama

I made the same batch of 100% coconut soap in the same mold and in the same manner I have since the first time I made it. Even put it in the same place covered with the same towel. I just went to unmold it and there...looking at me with a crooked smile...is a big azz crack in the middle of my damn loaf! Noooooooooo, it couldn't just crack a few places on the surface or even crack all the way from end to end. It's just in the middle and looks like it's pretty deep. I just told it to GTH and slammed the door! :laugh2: WTH is that all about?

My first guess is that the little buzzard decided to over-heat. Am I climbing the wrong tree? If it did over-heat, what exactly does that mean. Something...or nothing?

You know, since I've been cp'ing, I haven't had too many problems. I've had some really jacked up soap, some soap that looked and felt like a super-soaker sponge, some that just sat there looking stupid, and one batch that was so hard that I couldn't even chip it with an ice pick. Now I got cracks! And at the wrong damn time! Arrrrrrgh!

Oh, well...off to track down other people's cracked soap!

I think it overheated. I have had soaps that did that and my best guess was too much heat. For whatever reason I could get the soaps to repeat it under a variety of things unless I absolutely didn't want it to happen. I stopped taping down my saran wrap to form a seal and in most instances, stopped covering my molds with towels and sometimes that soaps would heat and sometimes they wouldn't.

I love your sense of humor!

Thank you. Gotta have a sense of humor when it comes to this damn soap!

It's official...overheating was the culprit. I could barely get the tape off the outside of the mold. The crack isn't as deep as I thought it was.

Not sure why it overheated. Guess I'll probably never know. I didn't do anything differently. :undecided

So, what does overheating mean for the end product? I tested a piece. It didn't zap me and it's bubbly as usual.

I love Coconut oil soap! I just wish it would smell like coconut. I tried EVCO, but that was just a waste of my money...it only had a very light coconut smell. You had to darn near breath in the entire earth just to get a hint of it!

often, the implications are merely cosmetic - cracking, alligator skin tops. other times it may be much worse - causing separation... which results either in a trip to the trash can or (gah!!!) an evening spent rebatching.