Please help me with a scale!!

beau's mama

I'm ready to play with the big girls now and I need a new scale. I've been up 1/2 the night looking but I'm really not having any luck.

I need a scale that will read something like this: 387.82 or 387.822 grams. Every scale I own and every one I've looked at either reads in whole grams or 0.1 or the silly 0.05 grams. Normally I can work around this, but I'm making much larger batches now and I want my lye measurements as accurate as possible. I don't want to guesstimate by rounding up or down, but if any of you more experienced soapers have any suggestions, I will gladly take them.

Am I asking for the (nearly) impossible?

If you're making larger batches, a scale the reads 0.1 g should be fine. You could consider a scale that reads 0.01 g if you're using it only for lye or small test batches, but it isn't really necessary. A scale that reads 0.001 g will have too small a capacity and can get crazy expensive. It's also overkill for anything except maybe really tiny amounts of additive.

The error in your NaOH measurement comes mainly from absorbed water, sodium carbonate, any maybe beads that stick to the container. That can throw things pretty far off, so weighing to extra decimal places won't do much good. If you were to weigh the lye to .001 g on anything but a super dry day, you wouldn't even get a stable reading. You could actually watch it get heavier as it absorbs water.

I found I needed to have 2 scales on hand at all times. One for heavy jobs and one for more delicate matters. I use my big scale with the soap pot on it for measuring my oils, water and other weighty jobs. For FOs, lye and lip balm sample work, I use my jewelers scale.

I'm not sure if you can find a scale that's accurate to 0.01 or 0.001 grams and still weighs over 200 grams. Most of them are 100-150 gram max...

Good Luck on your search!

If you are making larger batches you really don't have to be that percise. I use this scale http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-kd7000.aspx and it works great. You'd only have to worry about being more accurate if your working with 1lb or smaller batches. That's why we work with a superfat, allows a little slack. HTH

http://southernsoapers.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=921 I just ordered this one last night since one of mine bit the dust over the weekend. I'm like Kya above and like to always have 2 on hand. I also have one of those little things that I think came from Lotioncrafters for really minute measurements.

If you're making larger batches, a scale the reads 0.1 g should be fine. You could consider a scale that reads 0.01 g if you're using it only for lye or small test batches, but it isn't really necessary. A scale that reads 0.001 g will have too small a capacity and can get crazy expensive. It's also overkill for anything except maybe really tiny amounts of additive.

The error in your NaOH measurement comes mainly from absorbed water, sodium carbonate, any maybe beads that stick to the container. That can throw things pretty far off, so weighing to extra decimal places won't do much good. If you were to weigh the lye to .001 g on anything but a super dry day, you wouldn't even get a stable reading. You could actually watch it get heavier as it absorbs water.

Top, you are so right. I measure, turrn to drop my scoop in the sink, turn back and the reading is different. DH thinks hanging some dry packs will help with that, but I don't think anything will help that basement.

If you are making larger batches you really don't have to be that percise. I use this scale http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-kd7000.aspx and it works great. You'd only have to worry about being more accurate if your working with 1lb or smaller batches. That's why we work with a superfat, allows a little slack. HTH

I was looking at that one. I have a couple of small scales and a postal scale from OWK.

http://southernsoapers.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=921 I just ordered this one last night since one of mine bit the dust over the weekend. I'm like Kya above and like to always have 2 on hand. I also have one of those little things that I think came from Lotioncrafters for really minute measurements.

I looked at this one also. But I'm afraid to order from SS because I know that, somehow, FO's will mysteriously find their way into my cart with the scale! :laugh2:

Thanks everyone for your help. If anyone had told me a year ago that I'd be obsessing over scales and soaping, I would have definitely called them a liar!

Top' date=' you are so right. I measure, turrn to drop my scoop in the sink, turn back and the reading is different. DH thinks hanging some dry packs will help with that, but I don't think anything will help that basement.[/quote']

NaOH absorbing water while you're measuring doesn't introduce too much error, but protecting stored NaOH is very important. Keep the container tightly sealed and don't open it for longer than necessary. You could also consider a dehumidifier if the environment is especially damp. When you get the right model for the space, it really works and it's good for both your NaOH and your soap. Probably good for your basement too.

I agree with Kya - I use two scales - one measures to the .01 gram and the other only to .1. I use the smaller one for the preservative and things that need only trace amounts. It gets a little tedious, but it works rather well for me.

Top' date=' you are so right. I measure, turrn to drop my scoop in the sink, turn back and the reading is different. DH thinks hanging some dry packs will help with that, but I don't think anything will help that basement.

I was looking at that one. I have a couple of small scales and a postal scale from OWK.

I looked at this one also. But I'm afraid to order from SS because I know that, somehow, FO's will mysteriously find their way into my cart with the scale! :laugh2:

Thanks everyone for your help. If anyone had told me a year ago that I'd be obsessing over scales and soaping, I would have definitely called them a liar![/quote']

:rolleyes2 I had to get dh to order the scale for me so that I wouldn't end up with more fo that I can't afford right now.

I'll place my fo order while I'm all alone and no one is looking. :P