Need help with UPS

LynnS

I have a large wholesale order. I am in a dilemma.Husband is having leg surgery for blockages WED so I am in this alone.

I ship USPS once for a order this person had. It wasn't bad for shipping Postal but now rates keep going up. I THOUGHT maybe try UPS.They go by my house everyday.

The candle weighs 4.56 lbs and there are 90 candles.Going from Ohio to CT.

Can someone please help me calculate that or close to it.I have no idea what box since I used UPS only 1 time for a tart order.Whenever I try to get a estimate by calling UPS they are so high.I mean close to $150 one time. If I send USPS it would go in maybe 3 boxes or 4.Probably more. 100 lbs would be to much with 1 box. I cannot lift that and my husband can't with his surgery.

Can someone please help??? I Just want a close estimate and I guess shipping box idea.

DHL just closed near me so that is out. DHL closed and don't think UPS satellite does that anymore.But I have asked that when I call the satellite office and they are so hard to work with over the phone.I am not set up with all this in my home yet. Not alot of time since I will be at the hospital for 3 days as long as no complications.

LynnS

Thank You Oversoyed

I did that but then it asked for the width, length etc of the box. I have no idea what box?? So i made up some dimensions and it said not the right packing.

For this order I am betting I will need 4-5 boxes. :confused:

LynnS

Thank You Oversoyed

I did that but then it asked for the width, length etc of the box. I have no idea what box?? So i made up some dimensions and it said not the right packing.

For this order I am betting I will need 4-5 boxes. :confused:

LynnS

Do you not know what boxes you are using yet? I'd imagine that 90+ candles will need more than one box, unless you plan on using a 24" x 24" box... to fit them all. You'd probably need a handtruck to move them.

I am planning on 4-5 boxes but not sure about the size of each box.I have thought about USPS again but want the best deal. There is a box with USPS(not a flat rate) I used once but with their price increases not sure what it might be for the one box and a few flat rate boxes. That might be a way to go???

Just what I am figuring at this point with Post Office only a 1 1/2 miles and UPS is 25 miles from me unless a Pick up. Just not alot of time do get this out as soon as I want. Would be in about 3 days but I have to be at the hospial Wed Thur and maybe Friday. I have a couple scents and the 90 jars to pick up locally Tues.Company only opened Tues through Friday. Have to be up by 4 a.m on Wed:shocked2:

LynnS

Lynn if this wholesale order is going to a business why don't you ask them for the UPS acct # and have it billed to their account. I have a customer that has done that in the past with an overnight order he wanted. If your shop is at home then the UPS charges will be more than if you were in a business zone. By using their shippers account the shipping will be cheaper for them. Explain all this to them and see what they say. Does that make sense? I have a UPS shippers account and they give you the option of how you want the shipping billed. You can schedule a pick-up with UPS on line and tell them where your package will be. Of course this is easy in my small town because I know my UPS men well and they know where to look for a package if I am not home!

It is a business at the home. It is their home address but I would assume it would qualify as a business and not residential. They do have a gift shop etc.though.

She ships and also orders alot on-line. She might knows this aobut a business discount.I am like you outside a small town BUT lucky as I am right on a state route.UPS goes by everyday. The small town 1 1/2 miles from me(and where the PO is) has a population of maybe 1200.

A few years ago I got a UPS account but on-line orders were small or none.I didn't follow through. I go on the site at times and put in what I THINK I might have for my user name and password and it comes up wrong.I do other things but never seem to be able to get into the part for shipping.I did the other day finally but it said Your box size does not fit. I guess they mean by the weight I put in.I have no idea?? I know I will need approx 5 boxes.It sounds like alot but each would weigh over 80 lbs. for 410 lbs.Might have to go with more unless UPS picks up. We have a dolly we use here and UPS would have one too.

When I get the order done I will e-mail her

Thank You

LynnS

Lynne,

I believe UPS usually has a weight limit of a single box of 75 lbs. This is what I would do. I deal with a local box company, that offers boxes in just about any size you may need. If you have determined that the TOTAL weight of your candles will be 410 lbs, you have to figure on at least 6 boxes. Try to determine the dimensions needed for each candle, width, depth, height. Then try to find a box size available that will accommodate a set number of your candles.

Here is a real world example:

Let's say your candles are 5" long x 5" wide x 8"high

U-Line box company (www.uline.com) sells a box that is 26" long x 16" wide x 10" high (You have to buy 25 or more @ $2.09/each)

You would be able to fit 15 candles in that box 5 x 3 candles.

Each box would weight about 70 lbs.

I did a quick calculation on the UPS website, and if it was picked up from your residence and it shipped to a residence, it would cost over $200. I am sure if you deliver them to the UPS store yourself, it "could" be cheaper, but this is what I calculated using generic cities in Ohio & CT.

Hope that helps. SteveG

Javaeboy,

Yes I believe your calculation is right.Seems to me what I was told last year when I had a order this large. IMO that is way to HIGH. A $200 shipping bill??? There are many variables that go along.How many boxes, the width, height, weight etc and I am sure it can be costly. If I sent her a total like that I am sure she would be floored since last year with USPS it was like $60.00. thought with USPS it would be more more but not $200.00.

With just 20 candle per large flat rate that would be 100 candles. If i use that $12.95 box the cost would be $64.75. I am still grasping at what to do but this looks alot more promising than $200.00 shipping bill.Even $80.00 would be good.

Pack a box(what the jars come in) with 10 candles in it then put as many candles I can get around that box packing with bubble wrap and peanuts.This just might work using the flat rate box.:confused:

Everyone has been a help for UPS but like Javaeboy said it seems like the order will be $200 with UPS. No getting around it.:shocked2:

This might go into 6 flat rate boxes but still cheaper.I believe this is what I did last year but with rate hikes I was worried.The nice part the large flat rate stayed at $12.95 unless I have another surprise.

Will let everyone know and it might help some of you with candle orders of 100 or more.

LynnS

I'm confused ... if the candles are small enough to fit 10 of them in the large flat rate box, then some of the numbers being tossed around in this thread don't make sense to me. Wholesale/bulk orders ARE expensive to ship, and a wholesaler and wholesale buyer are used to this ~ it's all part of it. I cringe at what I pay to ship in soap, but nothing I can do. I need it, and I can't pick it up.

I would much sooner trust UPS insured packages on a wholesale order than a dozen PM boxes, but that's me. Others have the opposite opinion.

Don't know if this helps or not but I had an order that weighed 45lbs packed in a 22x14x12 box going from GA to OHIO and the UPS shipping on it was 20.37. I found in checking a quote on their web site it always stated much more than the actual shipping once you actually shipped it. Not trying to promote UPS but for me it is so much easier to have them come by and pick up orders than trying to lug several boxes, especially one this heavy to the car, out of car, into post office. hth

grama,

I just did a quick lookup on the UPS website, and according to their calculation, (I used your dimensions and weight, and Atlanta to Cincinnati for cities) the estimate came to $27.63, so your shipping cost of $20+ is a good thing to use. Not knowing when you shipped it, or what particular cities it went to and from, we can assume either prices have gone up, or that a good estimate for the original poster could be as much as 35% less than the quote on the UPS web site. That may mean that the actual cost based on my original estimate that I calculated would still be around $130 or so for an individual packaging their own stuff. Does sound high, but 410 pounds of stuff, doesn't go anywhere cheaply.

What am I missing? You said a candle weighs 4-1/2 lbs, and there's 90 of them? As mentioned, that's 400#. That's not going to ship for $60. What the heck kind of candle weighs almost 5# each yet you can fit 20 of them in a large flat rate? That's 90# worth.........I'm confused.

Find some free, large boxes (stores, recycling centers, etc) and ship UPS. You should get a hundred-weight discount. USPS will not be cheaper on that kind of weight.

Actually, LTL carrier would probably be your best bet, but sounds like you might not have a way to deal with that.

I have had very little time to work with this. I did get the next large box with USPS(slightly taller than the large flat rate). The part time postmistress was there and not sure she understood what I needed. Finally today I get a much larger box.I paid $2.49 for this one. Haven't had time to tape it and see what it holds. The other order that was this size 6 months ago I forgot what I used. I THINK this is the box but won't know till I start packing the candles.The dimensions on this box are 20-14-10. The postmaster said that was the largest box he has. So maybe I am on the right track now as soon as I see what each box will weigh and what shipping will be.

The other day I sent a donation order to a place near me.I used the large flat rate box.I thought that box was still $12.95 but it went up a dollar. It is all going up and sure UPS is too. The flat rates are so good but lately with larger order I upped my shopping cart. It wasn't bad shipping until they went up.I paid some of the cost but now I MUST go up more.

As soon as I get a box packed/weighed I will let everyone know the cost for just one box.I am hoping I can get 2 cases of candles in it at least.If it is wide I will be able to. I think I will only pack 2 boxes of 20 candles.The order is for 10 each so must might stay with that.That would be at least 5 boxes so scrap the large flat rate box holding 20 candles but when I pack it I can get 16 candles in it. And for the medium flat rate I can get 8 8 ounce JJ.The new small flat rate I can get packs of tarts or 6 4 ounce tins in that one.It is only $4.80. That is a good deal to be able to ship that many tins in that small box.

Hope to get some packed tomorrow.If my son carries the box out to my car the postmaster comes out to the car and gets the box.

LynnS

Sorry I'm late but husband has been in the hospital for 2 days.

Finally did it and not bad.Sure beats what I have heard shipping would be for (90 candles) with UPS.

I took the divider from the boxes of 12 jars and put it in a LARGE flat rate box.That fit 12 candles I made.I used bubble wrap around those on the outer area. Then took 3 more candles and put them just on one side.Fit perfect and wrapped them with bubble wrap.Put some peanuts on top to give some protection and some newspaper.Wa La 15 candles in a large flat rate and these are the 10 ounce classic jars.

I do better with the 8 ounce JJ??? With the 8 ounce JJ I get 16 candles wrapped individually.

I have 90 - 10 ounce candles and will use 6 large flat rate boxes. Cost is $83.70. :yay:

LynnS

They weigh slightly less but rounded it off. Can't this be done???

Not sure what you mean??? This is the way I shipped them last year but the shipping was $1.00 less for this box. I just think my approx shipping is the most outlandish with UPS but would like to use them.

I wanted to use less boxes but every box I tried it came to about 6 boxes and this larger flat rate I dont have to buy.

LynnS

They weigh slightly less but rounded it off. Can't this be done???

Not sure what you mean??? This is the way I shipped them last year but the shipping was $1.00 less for this box. I just think my approx shipping is the most outlandish with UPS but would like to use them.

I wanted to use less boxes but every box I tried it came to about 6 boxes and this larger flat rate I dont have to buy.

LynnS

I think what they were meaning was how does each candle weigh 4.5 lbs when you are saying that you are sending 90 - 10oz candles. That means each jar would have to weigh 3 lbs 10 oz.