Srubby Soap Question?

Dana Mae

Hi Everyone,

I need some suggestions on what to use in scrubby soap.

Here's the catch...it's for my Dad......who is a life time fan of Lava soap (remember that?) If I remember right......it was pretty scrubby!...and that's how he wants it.

He won't use "my" soap....but will if I can make it as scratchy as Lava, lol

Suggestions on appropriate additives? I've never done a scrubby soap before.

Much appreciated,

Dana

I make salt bars......I don't feel they're scrubby at all.......or at least mine aren't?

Anyhow......yeah......he wants lava-sandpaper scratchy. Didn't it have pumice in it or something?

Anyone? :confused:

Thanks bunches,

Dana

edited to add, just found pumice at Brambleberry...not sure how much to add tho!

I don't think salt soap is scrubby either.

I'm not sure what Lava used since I don't think I've tried that soap. But, for a scrubbie soap you could use:

ground luffa

ground pumice

Oatmeal

corn meal

ground seeds like apricot, strawberry etc.

lava was (is?) pumice

Dana, pumice in soap is GREAT - for hands and feet.

I suggest you use it in a hard bar if it's a lava-like soap he's after - maybe something like 75% coconut oil & 25% palm oil or lard. Superfat at about 10% and make sure the soap gels or you will get mega ash.

I use slightly ground oatmeal and poppy seeds in my super-scrubby soap. for my just a hair over 2lb batches, a half cup of oats and 2tsp of poppy.

My hubby isn't a huge fan of MY soap, but since I got him to try my gardener's bar. he's completely stopped using the fast orange to scrub up with at the sink, he says it cleans the oil better. YAY!!

I'm not sure how it will react in cp soap, but I made mp soaps with added pumice and most of the pumice settled to the bottom. I used a foot mold and it actually turned out pretty cute....it just looked like a dirty foot. :laugh2: Just thought I would mention it. I do agree with the rest, the ground pumice should be just what you're looking for. Good luck.

in MP you need to let the soap cool a LOT in order to keep it suspended. I think Prairie Annie has some hints on that. with CP soap I add it at med-thin trace and have no problem keeping it even throughout the batch.