storing product

Judette

I have been ordering supplies to take the plunge into soapmaking. Michigan can get hot & humid in the summer months. I will not turn the AC until I have to. I waited all winter to be able to have my windows open. Should I store my oils and butters upstairs where it may get a little warm or in basment where it is cooler. Also, can I store in refrigerator? I read where someone stores their butters in frig to extend shelf life. I do have a small frig in basement that pretty much is only used for soda & water. Also, if I can store in frig what should temp be? We keep that frig very cold. DH likes very cold water. I put this in this section because I know a lot of same product is used in B&B as well as soapmaking. Also I will probably begin to have million ?? I have made some B&B already. Nothing elmulsified. Straight butters & oils recipes. You guys are such a gamut of knowledge. I finally have ooooo and ahhhh long enough in the gallery, I am going to try the CP soap. I am starting with QuietGirl's recipe. Is that a good start point? Or should I go even more basic?

It's better to store your oils in a cool place rather than a warm place. Some oils do better if they're refrigerated but I personally don't keep mine in the fridge (don't have the room). All oils have a shelf life and can eventually go rancid. The cooler you can keep them, the better but they're usually fine at a normal room temperature.

The temp in my basement is 61 year round. I order coconut oil, palm kernal flakes, no-stir palm by 50 lb cases and just leave the cases sitting on the floor. Babassu is a hard oil & doesn't need refrigeration. My butters go into the refrig as does the 7 lb jug of castor.

What fits in the fridge goes there, particularly short shelf life oils. Coconut sits in a cool room or as cool as it can be. Same with palm. PKO sits in a tote and I should remember that, because I ought to sell it off now that I don't use it.

Yep, I keep everything in a fridge in the basement, even Meadowfoam & Jojoba. If I get a large amount of butters, I seperate it and store some in the freezer. Thaws nicely without condensation if done in the fridge.

Hey Scented, get that PKO listed. I could use a # or 2 now since I hate Palm and it hates me!