Tart/Wax melt question

Jeana

Is it a big deal that after they cool down they don't pop out? I've used several waxes - including veg pillar, and high melt point paraffin - and they all seem to stick, even after being in the freezer. I'm using the soapstone warmers, not sure if this is problem.

Anyway, they are smelling great, and I would like to get them out there. But I'm concerned that it could be an issue if people have to melt them to get them out of the warmer

I always pour my used wax out of the container I use to set on the warmer - right into the garbage can; then ya just wipe it out with a paper towel and it's all ready for more tarts. Letting the wax cool to remove it is the hard way around... ;)

Ok I thought pouring out the old tart while it is warm would be easier, but I have heard other people say they are suppose to be easily removed when cold.

So your customers have never voiced a preference? Are you using container wax for your tarts/melts?

I may be confused here... Are you talking about having trouble getting the tarts out of the molds or are you talking about disposing of the wax once the fragrance is gone? :confused:

So your customers have never voiced a preference? Are you using container wax for your tarts/melts?

I'm sure if it were left up to customers, they would prefer that the used wax would hop out of the burner and throw itself into the garbage!! But since that ain't gonna happen, I tell them to pour the used wax into their garbage wile its still liquid and wipe out the container with a paper towel.

I use all kinds of wax for tarts and melts. I prefer using NatureWax C3, but it doesn't really matter much so long as the melts have a good hot throw. Tarts & melts are NOT my main product line, so I don't give them much attention. For me, they are "leftover" projects that I make as a giveaway to my best customers and friends.

Stella, I'm talking about after the tart is used in the warmer. I don't want to make them a focus either. I would like to have them though.

Rustic, have you tried yours in a soapstone warmer? I'm wondering if it makes a difference whether if it is ceramic or soapstone for how well it comes out.

Jeana, impatient people like me, just dip a paper towel in the hot wax to suck it out but if it has solidified, just put it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes and then take it out BUT you have to stick a knife under the edge of the wax to lift it out. It will probably break into 2 or three big chunks that pop right out. Wipe away any remaining bits with a paper towel.I use Ecosoya PB.

I have quite a few customers who like to melt one for only a few hours and then pop it out. They save them so they can re-melt in a few days.

I'm using 25% CB-135 and 75% PB mix. My testers all have either glass or glazed ceramic bowls. The majority say the wax just pops out. Only a few said they needed to place it in the fridge. They all noted that one FO in particular had the tendency of sticking.

So it may be the FO or the soapstone. I would probably take plain wax (without FO) and melt it in the soapstone. If it did pop out I'd make a couple of melts with a different FO. Melt one in the soapstone and one in the glass or ceramic melter and compare.

NOTE about the fridge/freezer method. It works fine if the bowl separates from the heating element. But I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it with the one-piece ceramic melters that are warmed with a light bulb. One tester took hers from the freezer, popped the wax out, put in another melt, and immediately plugged it in. She got scared out of her wits when the bulb shattered.

HTH

I didn't even think about someone putting an electric warmer in the freezer. Yikes!

Good news, one of my testers told me she does put my wax melts in the freezer and they do pop out for her, even in a soapstone warmer. Wonder why mine don't come out for me. Oh well, now I don't have to worry about it being an issue.