Newbie with a couple questions :)

Hi everyone,

This site is fabulous! I've read though almost everything on the candlemaking help section, as well as all the basic instructions on the site. The gallery is amazing, you guys are some awesome chandlers!

I've been slowly working on building up a supply of materials the past six months. The first project I ever attempted with a hurricane with a photo of my friends son and it turned out pretty good for a first run! I've been making lots of votives lately.

Tonight I plan to whip some wax to make snowball candles (the smooth balls are already made). My first question is, is it safe to sprinkle some silver glitter on it when it's still really soft - will the glitter affect burning at all?

My second question is actually more of a call for some ideas. I don't have a lot of money for Christmas this year, so I plan to be giving out sample packages of votives (since its so hard to know what people like) - one of each scent, perhaps 4 votives per person. Do you guys have any recommendations on how I could nicely package these without the scents getting all mixed up? I love the little lip at the top of my votives and don't want to throw them all together haphazardly and risk those lips getting broken.

My last question is about scent throw. I've been using about a 1/2 oz. per 2 lbs of wax (I think its 140mp) with a tablespoon of vybar. I don't feel like the candles are getting much scent. Should I be adding more scent, using other additives, or looking for a different wax?

Ok, I'm full of questions - I'm sorry about that. Just ignore me if its too much. I don't plan to run a business or anything, I'm just a crazy busy single mom that finds some respite in making things with my own two hands :) and love getting ideas/learning more from others.

Have a great weekend all,

Michelle

I agree, this site IS pretty fabulous! I don't know much about this stuff myself, but I think I've read that it's something like an ounce of FO per pound of wax. I may be wrong, the last candles I made weren't stinky at all, but then again I didn't measure anything. I know, dumb, but hey... wanted to make sure I could do it without burning down the house... anyway, I'm sure you'll get everything you're looking for on this forum, these people rock!

:yay:

Howdy and welcome to the board :)

The usual amount of FO is 1 oz pp wax, sometimes a bit less with a very strong FO. As for the wax, I'm guessing it's a straight paraffin, not preblended. If it's a blend, the vybar is overkill and can lock the scent up. You definitely need to add more FO though.

Packaging, you can use poly bags or cello. Make sure it's polyPRO so it doesn't suck the scent out. I tend to cut up cellophane in small squares, wrap it around the votive and put a small piece of tape on it. You can fold the bottom in and use the warning label to hold it closed. Twist the top closed and tie off with a bit of curling ribbon or something.

Good luck :)

Packaging, you can use poly bags or cello. Make sure it's polyPRO so it doesn't suck the scent out.

Quick question about packaging.. will Zip Lock type bags work? Or would they suck the scent out too?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread...:embarasse

The usual amount of FO is 1 oz pp wax, sometimes a bit less with a very strong FO. As for the wax, I'm guessing it's a straight paraffin, not preblended. If it's a blend, the vybar is overkill and can lock the scent up. You definitely need to add more FO though.

Ah, I just must not be using enough. You're right, it's not a preblend, its straight paraffin. If I'm using 1/4 of the amount of scent I'm supposed to, I think that may be it right there. I'll let you know how tonights batches turn out.

And thank you for the packaging ideas, I'm probably going to go that route! :o

Welcome to our world Michelle. It sounds as though you're having a good time with your new hobby. You can shrink wrap your votives to safe guard them and keep them nice and neat looking...but you would need an impulse sealer to seal the edges of the shrink wrap before you heat gun them. If you've got a food saver, I believe you can do the same thing. I don't have one myself but others on the board have used them and said they were great. Anyway, good luck with your projects and it's nice having you here.

Brat: You don't want to use the regular zip lock bags like for sandwiches...those will suck the scent out. You can, however, use the ziplock "freezer" bags without any problems. You can get some no-name cheap ones at the dollars store...I buy them there all the time and they're just fine.

Thanks for the ideas Fern! Right now a heat gun and a shrink wrapper are out of my price range, so for now I think I'll stick with those bags previously mentioned. Hopefully I'll get those someday!

http://www.msu.edu/user/artibeem/snowball.jpg

My first snowballs and they smell just like candy canes (increase in FO amount did'er). My lighting must stink in my kitchen - I'm seeing big splotches of places that I missed and where I didn't distribute glitter evenly. Oh well, they were fun and that's what matters! :) I've also got a few brown pillars and votives that smell like gingerbread finishing up their first pour. Yum!

Thanks for everyones help tonight, I look forward to posting here more frequently and getting to know ya'll! :)

Michelle

Hi and welcome those are darling snowballs, you did a great job on those. :)

I just wanted to mention about the heat gun and shrink wrap. You can get a heat gun at Walmart or other such stores for fairly cheap (maybe $20 at the most) and you can buy shrinkwrap by the roll or in bag form.

I have bags that I bought from papermart and some from WSP (wholesale supplies plus) and they are not expensive at all.

Also, you do NOT need an impulse sealer at all to do these, you can either use tape to hold one end together, or do what I do, I fold the end over to close and then heat gun it, and then mush the ends down and when they're cool they simply stick together.

I do this with my soaps, and they turn out GREAT! :)

No need to spend a small fortune on the sealer that you really don't NEED right now. ;)

Have fun!!