Using Floral waters in CP

beau's mama

I have tried floral/herbal teas and infusions, such as lavender, mint, chamomile etc. Used heaps of herbs and hardly could detect any scent in the final soap. I would say good quality essential oils are the way to go if you would like to scent your soaps naturally.

I did a mix of chamomile tea and lav eo recently. After it cured I was shocked how much the chamomile showed up. I let the teabags steep for days before making the soap. So it could depend how strong the floral water is, and if you mix it with an eo that could fix the smell in there.

I also didn't add the lye to the tea. I added the tea after the water/lye mix was added to the oils. I think this helped keep the lye from scorching the tea.

Jeana, that is an interesting information. I may try again, using this way. Did you steep the chamomile flowers in hot water, and let them sit for a few days, or cold water to start with?

I used some organic tea bags and started the steeping off with boiling water. When I do this again, I may even try heating it a few times to get all I can out of the tea bags. Or even leave it in the sun for a few days.

Thanks Jeana, I think I will try to boil the tea for half an hour or so. I think you can get a lot out of the herb that way. (I think it is called 'decoction' and it is suitable way of processing some herbs and making skin preparations from them. I am not an herbalist, so someone correct me if needed:))

Okay, now I have a question about using floral water. I got some unsellable roses from my local florist, made a beautiful batch of nice, red rose water. Was going to use it in my chamomile and rose petal soap. Added the lye to the floral water and, YUCK!!!! I ended up with a beautifully scented, BROWN chamomile and rose petal soap. How do you keep the lye from reacting with the floral water and turning it brown?

So your soap was scented from using just the rose water? We have a ton of roses, I would love to make rose water, how do you do it?

When I did my chamomile tea batch, I took half the water kept it plain and mixed it with the lye. Then the rest of the called for water (which was the tea) got added after I mixed the lye/water and oils together. It didn't scorch and it must have preserved the tea in the soap too, cuz I can smell the chamomile almost as much as the lavender I added. It may do the same with the floral waters. It didn't turn brown at all. It was a little yellow from the tea.

Does that make sense how to do it?