Cattail candles

Not sure if posted in right section but anywho!! Does anyone know how to make these cattail candles?? They are sooo cool. I know it is a chunk but not sure what the reeds(grass) are made with. I want to make some of these!! Without having to buy the DVD of course!!

Not sure if posted in right section but anywho!! Does anyone know how to make these cattail candles?? They are sooo cool. I know it is a chunk but not sure what the reeds(grass) are made with. I want to make some of these!! Without having to buy the DVD of course!!

Guess it would help if I included the link!!:laugh2:

http://newcart.candlesandsupplies.com/Store/Products/Candles/PID-DVD-7.aspx

I need a better visual, but why wouldn't it all just be embeds?

i.e. all of it is probably made with embeds. It's the only thing that wouldn't be a fire hazard right?

I'm trying to get a better look at it too!! It is a forever candle so it could be made with other than wax. I can tell that it is a chunk candle, maybe the cattails are made with gel but I still can't figure out the reeds. I can cut the tails out of wax or gel. I guess I may have to play around & see what I can come up with.

I found an instructional thing in a candle book recently for how to do this.

You use hurricane wax and pour a pillar/square/other large candle like your normally would. Don't worry about the second pour, you won't need it.

After the top and sides have a thick skin (not hard, just skin) you cut a hole in the top leaving just a "crust" around the edges. Pour out the still liquid wax, save it, then press your materials (stamps, pressed flowers, etc...) into the inside, let cool completely. Now, take some of that leftover wax and pour it back in and repeat the cutting/pouring steps so that you now have embedded your material.

I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense and seems simple enough.

I found an instructional thing in a candle book recently for how to do this.

You use hurricane wax and pour a pillar/square/other large candle like your normally would. Don't worry about the second pour, you won't need it.

After the top and sides have a thick skin (not hard, just skin) you cut a hole in the top leaving just a "crust" around the edges. Pour out the still liquid wax, save it, then press your materials (stamps, pressed flowers, etc...) into the inside, let cool completely. Now, take some of that leftover wax and pour it back in and repeat the cutting/pouring steps so that you now have embedded your material.

I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense and seems simple enough.

Hey girl!! That sounds like too much work to me!!!:laugh2: May have to work on something that would be easier!!

My guess:

the basic candle is a chunk pillar, made with the flower pot plug insert.

The brown "cattails" are strips of wax which would be put in at the same time as the ivory chunks; the "leaves" are made by making a hole by inserting a wire (or small diameter knitting needle) along the mold after doing the overpour, and then dropping brown or green liquid dye (using a toothpick) into the hole while the wax is still warm - may have to heat gun the top to help the dye move down the "holes".

Those are stunning candles!! I can understand why you want to try making these!!:drool:

In the description of the mosaic candle DVD, it says: "You will learn how to make wax chunks and cattail embeds, make wax stems and learn how to avoid common problems and mistakes" so that gives me an idea of how these are constructed. ;)

Thanks for sharing this candle project idea!! :)

Those are stunning candles!! I can understand why you want to try making these!!:drool:

In the description of the mosaic candle DVD, it says: "You will learn how to make wax chunks and cattail embeds, make wax stems and learn how to avoid common problems and mistakes" so that gives me an idea of how these are constructed. ;)

Thanks for sharing this candle project idea!! :)

I guess I should have been paying attention to the description:laugh2:

So they are wax cool, I will have to play around with some of these this wekend!! I have even more ideas in my head:shocked2:

My guess:

the basic candle is a chunk pillar, made with the flower pot plug insert.

The brown "cattails" are strips of wax which would be put in at the same time as the ivory chunks; the "leaves" are made by making a hole by inserting a wire (or small diameter knitting needle) along the mold after doing the overpour, and then dropping brown or green liquid dye (using a toothpick) into the hole while the wax is still warm - may have to heat gun the top to help the dye move down the "holes".

That makes a ton of sense.

I wasn't aware (since I didn't read) that these were forever candles, because I am pretty sure Hobby Lobby sells the dried cat tails, just not that small.