Stirring Too Much ?

I used KY pure soy 1-lb, with 3-4% of BW,1 & 1/4oz FO per lb. (Dutch Apple Pie ) 1-Dash of Rusty Brown. I heat to 195-200 , pour into the pyrex cup, add my dye and stir for 3 mins. then I let the wax cool to 180-175, add my FO and stir another 3 mins, than let it cool to 97-100 and stir and then pour. Some set up faster than others and I think I'm stirring too much. I think I stirred a little bit too much. I have lots of bubbles on top of the wax. My question is, can it be fixed and how can I fix it ? Is it necessary to stir the wax just before you get ready to pour into your containers? The tops aren't coming out soomth. I'm sure I didn't over heat, b/c I was watching very close to the temp.

Any help would be appricated.

I agree, 200 degrees is too high for this soy. Overheating will cause bubbles in the wax. And trying to heatgun the tops at that point will only make it worse. I only heat to about 185, then add FO and then dye, stir until all blended. Leave it sit until it starts to get a little cloudy, then stir well and pour.

When stirring make sure you are folding and not whipping the wax too hard. Also, I think 200 is too hot for this wax. I use EZSoy, which from what I understand is virtually the same wax as the KY pure soy, and it is recommended this wax not be heated over 175. Try this and see what happens. HTH :)

I had some problems with my dyes not melting a while back and I had posted on one of the boards, I've forgotten which board it was, someone suggested I up the temp so the dyes would melt better, but not to go over 200. OMG.:shocked2: Most of my candles have pretty smooth tops to them some have what looks like bubbles around the outside edge of the jar. By me over heating too 200, will that have any effect on my candles burning alright. I've been testing every FO, I'm getting very good throws and burning alright, they don't have a burn smell to them.

I know over heating cause the bubbles, I had done that already I had forgot I had my wax melting. the heat had gone up to 205. I think it was you Kaybee23 that responed to my post, on why I have lots of air bubbles.

I guess that accounts for the bubbles around the sides of the jar. I really do appreciate the helps from all of you. I will be heating to 175 and making sure to fold in and not whipping it.

I can add my dye,FO,UV all at the same time, then sir for 3 mins and then let it cool down to the cloudy stage and pour?

Kaybee23 don't you use the KY pure soy?

Thank You

Yes I also use the KY Puresoy. I went through some rough spots early on with this wax and discovered that I was overheating it. I was trying to heatgun the tops and they would just keep getting bubbles, and then when they would set back up, they would look awful. Since I have been heating to about 180-185 (no higher), I don't have the air bubbles anymore. It was really bad last February when I was pouring the heart dishes, which you know have quite a bit of surface area. It was so bad that I was having to redo some of them. When I would heat gun them so many times to fix where I had air bubbles, they were pretty much ruined, as were the wicks at that point. I also don't heatgun my tops too much anymore. I have been doing a light repour on the tops after the candles have set up, and I get very pretty smooth tops. I really like this wax, better than any of the other soys I have used, and now I think I have finally tamed it to get it to do what I want it to do.

When I first started making candles I had problems with the dyes, it ended up I was using too much per lb, it was clogging up my wick and couldn't get no throw, I wasn't crushing my dyes, I didn't know I was suppose to. Then I orderd a box of KY pure soy, then everything starting working good.

I'll try heating to 180-185, add everything in, let coo to the cloudy stag and pour, I'll let you how they come out,

I'm going to playing around and see if I can come up with a nice red color. and do a few more testers.

Kerry how long after you let your candles set up do you do your repour

I let them set up completely then do a small repour. I have already noticed yesterday that I have to start backing down on my BW. I saw my first cracking yesterday. A hint on the red, if it is coming out too pink, add a little yellow or orange to it and it will take the pink out of it. Good luck and keep us posted!