Using Nature Wax C3 Going To Try Ecosoya

I am currently using Nature Wax in 8 oz Square Masons with a HTP 104 wickwith great results, but I am not 100% happy with Nature Wax. There is some frosting and some fragrance oil bleeding (although not too bad). I am going to start testing Eco-Soya Pure, and I was wondering how everyone else is wicking.

I don't have experience with that container specifically, but I recently tested C-3 against the EcoSoyas and I think you will be wicking down with any of them, most especially with EcoSoya CB-Advanced 2. Just to take an educated wild-ass guess, I'd say maybe start testing 1 size down, or 2 sizes with the CB-Adv.

If frosting is your issue then CB-Pure may not be the way to go. It has the most frost of any of them, though I have to say it produces some of the least objectionable looking frost I've seen. Kind of an attractive subtly mottled surface that sent me in search of clay crocks because I thought it would look perfect in them.

Keep in mind C-3 is not 100% soy so there's no need to limit yourself to that. I think you might like the CB-135. It's not dissimilar to C-3 but it's easier to wick and performs well. For maximum aesthetics and virtually no frost, CB-Advanced 2 would be the way to go, with a little stearic. It has the lowest MP of the 3 and is exceedingly easy to wick.

Which ecosoya do you think has the best hot throw.
I think the CB-Pure and CB-135 are fairly comparable in hot throw. I also compared cold throw and CB-Pure seems to be the best with CB-135 almost as good. These two waxes have a lot of differences that might influence which you want to use, but scent throw doesn't seem like it would be the deciding factor.

I did the cold and hot throw comparisons after 10 days of curing. CB-Advanced 2 clearly took a back seat to the other two in scent throw. Its main advantage is ease of wicking and remarkable frost resistance.

Thanks for the info Top. I've only used CB-135 so far so I had nothing to compare it to, but I am going to try the wax from Golden Brand to see how it compares.
Good luck. It's fun to try new waxes but all you get is a new set of weirdnesses. I've had my fill for a while and am going to adopt CB-135. It's been performing like a champ.

• 4 months later...

It sounds like you may have an issue with your FO load and not the wax. Some FOs are very concentrated and viscous, adding a 6% load may be too much. When you have a cold candle and bring it into a warm room, the wax will expand and any extra FO that did not completely bind to the wax will seep right through. Try cutting ack first, a 3% load will give you a strong scent throw, and will reduce the problems you are experiencing. make sure the wax cures for about 48 hours before changing its environment.

These comparisons are all so interesting. I have tried several brands in the past two weeks, C1, C3, EL Container, EL Millenium and GW464. Using a ratio of 1oz to 1# of the same scent in each, and the only one that had any bleed was the C3. Cooling and curing were the same for each.

This was a disappointment because in my limited experience, aside from the small sinkhole in the top, I thought the C3 had the best "texture" and appearance overall.

Rocky

Keep in mind C-3 is not 100% soy so there's no need to limit yourself to that. I think you might like the CB-135. It's not dissimilar to C-3 but it's easier to wick and performs well. For maximum aesthetics and virtually no frost, CB-Advanced 2 would be the way to go, with a little stearic. It has the lowest MP of the 3 and is exceedingly easy to wick.

where did you hear it isn't all soy? The site I buy it from says it is (JBN). :confused:

This was part of my email to Cargill:

I am interested in the C-3 Wax.

Any information on this wax would be greatly appreciated. All the

websites I have viewed seem a little unclear about the ingredients. Suppliers have told me it was 100% soy, but information I read says it

is vegetable based.

This is part of an email I got from Cargill regarding the C-3 Wax:

Our wax is made from soybean oil which is under the classification of vegatable oils. The product contains a certain amount of additives to help improve functionality but does not contain botanical oils.

HTH:

Hey Top,

You said C-3 was not 100% soy,Do you know what they add to make it not?And also I have never had FO bleeding in my C-3 wax,I have tried Eco-ad and 135 and with my experience C-3 was the better of the bunch.Just my 2 cents.

I remember someone saying that stearic was one of the ingredients but I don't know if that's accurate. I wouldn't let a technicality about the formulation concern you if you like the wax.