B&B Recipe Site

EarthScents

I would be very leary of making products that do not use measurements by weight. There were lots of recipes using Tablespoons and Teaspoons. The measurements really need to be by weight and done using a scale.

Ann M

Yes, you can concert the recipes to percentages if they are formulated in ounces, but you cannot convert if they are in Tablespoons and teaspoons as many of the recipes are. It is conceivable to make the recipe following the Tablespoon/teaspoon recipe and weigh each amount and convert the recipe from there. I would just be careful of making recipes with Tablespoon and teaspoon formulas.

Ann M

Well, I guess you could if you wanted to measure by volume and then convert back as Ann said.

However that sort of formula calls into question the quality of it. I know many use those measurements, but they are far from precise and while an individual may be pretty consistent from batch to batch, that doesn't necessarily carry over from one person to another

Plus, most "reliable" resources use the more reliable measurements.

Not to say they aren't great, just exercise caution! This is important for newbies to know (not y'all, of course) because they don't have the experience to make judgments like more experienced formulators do.

Well, I guess you could if you wanted to measure by volume and then convert back as Ann said.

However that sort of formula calls into question the quality of it. I know many use those measurements, but they are far from precise and while an individual may be pretty consistent from batch to batch, that doesn't necessarily carry over from one person to another

Plus, most "reliable" resources use the more reliable measurements.

Not to say they aren't great, just exercise caution! This is important for newbies to know (not y'all, of course) because they don't have the experience to make judgments like more experienced formulators do.

Point well taken.

I'm going to check it out, maybe if I can't get an exact recipe from there, I'll get a good idea for a recipe. *Crosses fingers*

Sometimes I'll wonder "How'd they do that?" Then see a recipe and go "OHHHH!!! Well, no I don't particularly like that .... in there, lemme play with it and see what I can get" and it sometimes leads to.... GENIUS!

• 2 months later...