Sellers... do you change the name of your product to be different from the oil?

I recently picked up a scented candle from Victoria's Secret... "Honeysuckle & White Patchouli." When I went to use the product I found that this is the exact same fragrance that Bath & Body Works sells as "Sensual Amber."

I discovered that Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body Works, Henri Bendel, and White Barn Candle are all part of the same company, Limited Brands.

I was wondering what the perspective is here on this... buying say a Bayberry fragrance oil from a supplier, then selling it out of the Christmas season under a different name, such as "French Herbs."

Do you think this is dishonest, or a savvy business practice?

I agree. Name it what you think would sell. If you want to come up with a catchy name, go ahead! Or if you want to downplay something, you can. For instance, I live in a pretty conservative area and I would hesitate to take a "Sex on the Beach" candle to some of my shows. But I could rename it and it would smell just the same. The popular scent "Monkey Farts" is another example. This works in some areas and not in others.

Deb

Guest jurnalynn

this is no different then what the food companies do the just lable the same thing different and price according to the brand name on it take perry's ice cream for example the make shurfine and wegmans brands but u pay a lot more if it have perrys on the lable

Laura

Yeah, I try to rename mine. Some that I have renamed:

Midnight Pomegranate is now Dark Rapture

Cotton Candy is now Clownin' Around

Watermelon is now Summer Days

Sandalwood is now Hippie Daze

Just to name a few that I have renamed. The Dark Rapture is my biggest seller right next to French Vanilla Pear (I am trying to come up with a new name for that one but haven't caught on to a good one yet)

Angi

Yep - savvy indeed !! I have had great scents in my line and they didn't move due to the name :confused: Renamed they sell like hot cakes . . .

Ditto here. Some names from the supplier just don't fit the fragrance or the market in your area.

I recently picked up a scented candle from Victoria's Secret... "Honeysuckle & White Patchouli." When I went to use the product I found that this is the exact same fragrance that Bath & Body Works sells as "Sensual Amber."

I discovered that Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body Works, Henri Bendel, and White Barn Candle are all part of the same company, Limited Brands.

I was wondering what the perspective is here on this... buying say a Bayberry fragrance oil from a supplier, then selling it out of the Christmas season under a different name, such as "French Herbs."

Do you think this is dishonest, or a savvy business practice?

I have 3 candles line, and I change names across the board. So far it's worked for me.

I don't think it is taking it too far, at all. You can pretty much do whateva . . :laugh2: I carry white cake but also sell it in my line as Birthday Blessings, I also do this with a few others too. Mulberry for instance doesn't sell well for me but I have a couple regular customers who would have a fit if I discontinued it so I renamed it and carry both scents, as well. The renamed out sell the supplier name and I can keep everyone happy.

ETA: I will color them different colors and most customer's don't pick up on it . . .

I've seen some suppliers do the same thing, if a fragrance doesn't sell to well in the Fall they may change the name for the Summer and vice versa...I think it's a pretty good marketing strategy...If the big companies can do it why can't the small business owner? :)

Actually we are supposed to rename some of them, like Sugar cookie. Yankee has a patent on that name. They don't want you to use it. If you notice our suppliers have had to rename some of theirs for the same reason. If I mix my own I rename them. And some of them I leave alone. It gets confusing when all the bottles say one thing, and the names are something else. :yay:

I rename almost all of my fragrances unless they are something common like apple pie. Then again, I have a leech in my area that copies everything we do so it has become a personal challenge of mine for it to be impossible to figure out where I get my FO's ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've changed or sometimes just shortened a name because I hand write a lot of my scent names on labels and needed something that would fit or sometimes I felt the scent name was just a bit off. For the most part, I stick with the supplier name though, I haven't changed too many.

The most recent change I made was when I changed suppliers on a scent. I was getting a scent called "Sea Glass" from supplier 1. Well, they stopped selling it so I found a scent that was so similar I could just barely tell the difference but it was called "Sea Breeze" I didn't want to take the name change to Sea Breeze became Sea Glass and no one has been able to tell the difference yet.

• 1 month later...
I change all of my names from the supplier. Always have. Always will. Part of the reason is that I rarely use just one scent straight up.

I make my own blends because my stuff is tropical themed. Just a couple with a single f/o. It works for me.

Patty A