IGCA Workshop

I was fortunate enough to be able attend the IGCA Spring in the Ozarks Candle Workshop this past weekend in Eureka Springs - This was the second time I was able to attend this annual workshop and I have to say that, once again it was nothing short of awesome!

There were about 20 people from 4 or 5 states in attendance and the knowledge that was shared once again just blew me away

It had been several years since I was able to attend the first one, but I was treated like an old friend from the moment I first stepped into the room

This workshop is very informal with the attendees sharing their vast knowledge (I have to say that about all I shared was my ignorance, but most of these folks are unbelievable, some with 30+ years in the art of candle-making so there was plenty to be learned) These chandlers are more than happy to answer specific questions on just about anything you can come up with, no matter how stupid those questions might be (and that last part is aimed directly at me - I promise you that I can come up with some pretty stupid stuff)

If you ever get the chance to attend you will forever regret it if you don't take advantage of it - I promise that in addition to coming away with some great new knowledge and hands on experience, you will also come away with some new friends (You will come away with a few extra pounds also because the food that is furnished as part of the workshop is fantastic!)

and if you have the chance, you will want to attend the IGCA Convention that is going to be held July 13-15 in Amana, Iowa - This year's convention is being put on by Alice Marquardt - some of you may know her and I am positive that many of you have heard of her, she knows her stuff!

The convention is 3 days of hands-on workshops with a lot of sharing and meeting fellow chandlers and most of the folks that were at the Eureka workshop will be there also - From what I heard this past weekend, it is going to be a lot like the workshop was - It is not going to be huge, but rather will have small workshops and will be a chance to get to know some folks from around the country as you learn a bit here and there - As soon as I get released back to work I will be turning in some vacation time

If you want some more info on the convention - http://www.igca.net/

I also am a member of the IGCA and have attended not the Ozarks convention with Cricket, but the "big" one. And scrubzz is right, you do come away with a ton of knowledge, resources and friends. It is VERY much worth it, as you will meet many candle makers from all parts of the country, with various degrees of experience in a variety of types/mediums. This is a great group with awesome resources for the serious candlemakers who want to expand their knowledge base, resources and network....oh yeah, and to have FUN!!

I will DEFINITELY be there this July! :yay:

Man bummers!! Wish these things were held when I could go to one and Iowa is like close.

so you already are booked up for the middle of July?

here is a list of the workshops that are already scheduled - more may be added as time goes on -

if you are interested in the convention and have something that you would really like to see covered Alice might just try and find someone to cover it for you -

Bleeding Skull Candle

Refillable Palm/Soy Candle

Candle Carving

Melts and Melters

Mini Luminaries

The Many Faces of Votives

Fruit Cake Candle

Shrink Wrapping

Labels and Packaging

Going Green with Candles

edited to add - I know this isn't all of the workshops and I will try and update these as I figure out what exactly will be covered