So I checked out Beanpod for the first time...

And I'm trying to figure out what is supposed to be so spectacular about them?? Their appearance was nice, the jars are cute. Their votives, supposedly at 1.9 oz seem very small, and I have a hard time finding snug votive containers for the full 2oz ones. The cold throw was alright, but weren't just "blow me away strong". I didn't purchase one to get the burn experience, probably should've, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I also thought this was interesting:

Never use container lid to put out candle flame. Simply blow out your soy wax candle and replace lid.

I almost ALWAYS see handcrafters and big manufacturers alike recommend extinguishing the wicks, not blowing them out.

I found that if you put it out with the lid, it leaves a little smoky scent in the candles. I would rather it go to the air. Then my candle smells fresh. Just my opinion. Most companies that make a lot of money, advertise. They tell the world how great their candles are, and we believe it. So the customer goes in, with it in their head that this is a great candle. Because they heard it on t. v. or the radio. You hear it enough, you start believing it. Look at Yankee. The little guys don't have that kind of money. And they are the ones with the kick butt candles. At least some are.

Well I didn't necessarily mean extinguish it with the lid, I meant extinguish it in some manner that isn't just blowing it out. That was just a first for me in advertising, or the first time I've noticed it anyway.

I do know Partylite as an example tells customers to use a snuffer to extinguish. You really shouldn't use the lids and blowing causes the wax to splatter. Otherwise if you must you hold your finger in front of the flame and blow on your finger. It blows the air around your finger to suffocate the flame.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that I was not impressed with Beanpod candles either. I had a customer bring one to me at a trade show here in Atlanta and she wanted to compare mine candles to Beanpod. I pointed out a few things and pretty much allowed her to observe the difference in the candles.

The cold throw of Beanpod's candles were not the greatest as I had expected. In my experience in testing my candles up against the big companies is once they grow they begin to cut corners on the most important part of the candle...the fragrance!

Jameel

One of the waterfront shops here carries the Beanpod. They're pretty candles, but I wasn't overwhelmed by them. I don't think I would have an urge so much for one if I were candle shopping, but it appears that they sell well.

The shop owner had a nice display and was burning a couple of them that arrived with a crack or other blemish. Not much to report about scent. I did buy some of those little wax beads or whatever they are for the tart warmer. Sorry, but they sucked.

They do a lot of marketing and attend all the trade shows. That's where the buyers in this area are hooking up with them.

I've been burning a Beanpod for about 5 hours now and it still has not reached a full mp. It's the Adirondack Mountain scent which smells nice. It almost looks like it's going to drown out. The wick has more than several mushrooms clumped together and the flame isn't very strong. It does remind me of an ECO wick but who knows. Definitely seems like it needs to be wicked up or double-wicked. The jar is 3 1/2" across.

I dug this one out along with some Yankee ones I had received as gifts quite a while ago. The Yankees have been burning the same amount of time and they are only about half way across the jar...same size jar diameter as the Beanpod...

I think we are all too hard on ourselves after seeing these burn.