Sprayable lotion

Scented

So I tried someone's recipe I pulled from somewhere and it doesn't work as a sprayable lotion. Just wondering if I can add something to it to thin it or what I ought to take out of it for the next time.

Recipe was:

3 oz oils ( so I picked FCO (1.5 oz), Kukui nut (.5), shea oil (.5) and AKO (.5))

.6 oz Ewax

.3 oz steric

26 oz distilled water

1 oz glycerin

Fragrance

silk protein

preservative

I happen to like the feel of it on my skin, but rather have it spray too. Couldn't get it to go through a fine mist sprayer and maybe that's why, but I'm not aware of other sprayers.

It's much easier when you work in percentages. I took a stab at putting your recipe into a formula and it looks something like this:

10% oils

2% E wax

1% stearic

81% water

3% glycerin

1% FO

1% silk protein

1% preservative

I have made a few spray lotions and do not use stearic. It may be what is making the lotion too thick. You can try dropping the stearic and see if that helps.

Here is a recipe I have used before:

62% distilled water

20% Aloe Juice

3% glycerin

10% oils (I used FCO and AKO)

2% ewax

1% silk proteins

1% phenonip or your choice of preservative

1% Fo

Hope this helps

Ann M

Oops forgot to add. I have found the glycerin to make the spray lotion sticky. I switched to using hydrovance instead and no more stickies!!

Test it without the stearic. I think you'll be happier.

I don't use it at all in lotions or creams anymore.

Sorry but I'm too tired at the moment to do a % conversion on your recipe for the ingredients, so I will ask what the %'s are for the e-wax and the stearic.

Will have more to contribute after that.

Thanks! I'll try it without steric next time.

Smacky, this isn't my recipe and I wish I remember where I got it, but tell me how to convert recipes and I will give it a go for figures. I struggle with the percentages and conversions.

Guest jurnalynn

i have found the easiest way to get your percentages is to measure in grams if i make a test batch i use 100 grams so if it says 1%it is one gram and so on when i make a full batch i use 2000 grams i times the percent by 2 then add a zero so 1% is 20 grams.....hope this helps

Laura

I converted the recipe to %'s in my first post to you. Here it is again if you missed it:

10% oils

2% E wax

1% stearic

81% water

3% glycerin

1% FO

1% silk protein

1% preservative

Ann M

I also provided a different recipe that I have used that does not contain stearic.

To get the percentages, I first figure out how many ounces are in the total batch. In your case, it was roughly 30.9 oz., but since you didn't include the amount of fo, silk protein and preservative, I put each at 1% and then deducted from the water amount.

So you used 3 ozs of oils. You take 3 divided by 30.9 and get roughly 10%

.6 oz ewax is .6 divided by 30.9 = 2%

.3 oz stearic is .3 divided by 30.9 = 1%

26 oz water is 26divided by 30.9 = 84%

1 oz glycerin is 1 divided by 30.9 = 3%

I then took 3% of the water away so I could add

1% fragrance

1% silk

1% preservative.

Hope that makes sense. Now when you want to make a batch of any size you can just use the formula and make any size you want. You can figure that out by multiplying the number of ounces you are making by the percentage ( converted to decimal form) So for a 16 oz batch of above you would have

16 x .1 =.1.6 oz oils

16 x .02 = .32 ewax

16 x .01 = .16 stearic

16 x .81 = 12.96 water

16 x .03 = .48 glycerin

16 x .01 = .16 fragrance

16 x .01 = .16 silk

16 x .01 = .16 preservative

Ann M

So glad it helped you. I used to use an online conversion that figured everything for you. It would take percentages and you could get the amounts in ounces or grams. It also would take your total amount and amount of each ingredient and tell you the percentages. It was a fabulous tool. Unfortunately the site is no longer available. I had to resort to figuring it myself. My wonderful DH sat down with me and reminded me how to figure this all out. It's really not so bad once you get the hang of it.

Have fun. I just may have to try sprayable lotions again. I used to love them, but stopped making them for some reason. I loved them for summertime use.

Ann M