My first chunk candle!!!

It was a lot of fun. I even have chunks left over for the next one. My first burn test did alright. I couldn't smell it at all, i dont' know if that is because i decided to lower my fo to an ounce pp, the wick is wrong, my allergies were interfearing or candlenose. I'll test again tomorrow and see what happens. I'm hoping that it is just my allergies or candle nose. I was not thinking when I did this one so I glued the wick down... don't know how i'm going to change it if it is wrong.:angry2:

Ok, so test burns today determined that the wick is wrong. Any suggestions on how to get it out since i accidently glued it down? I really don't want to pour the whole thing again:sad2: I'm going to try going up a wick, The wick appears not strong enough.

• 2 weeks later...

See if you can pull the wick out of the candle with pliers. Then you can put a new wick in the hole. You will still need to do a full test with a new candle but you might be able to use the candle you already made to narrow down the wick size.

HTH

Deb

Looks very pretty!! Are you using soy for chunks and overpour? If so, I hate to tell ya, but frosting can still occur!

While Deb's idea of pulling and changing the wick has some merit for narrowing down the wick size, you've only done 2 burns, so I think I'd wait to see if the candle will catch up on successive burns. Be SURE to make another to test once you have zeroed in on your wicking. The results you get from pulling/changing wicks are not real accurate in containers.

You say you poured one day and began testing the next? Perhaps your FO needs to cure a little bit before testing for HT! I wait at least 4-5 days before testing ANY candle for HT... It's also possible that you have candle nose from the day before...

While I understand your excitement, slow down a little and take your time so that your test results will be accurate. ;) Have fun!!! :)

Yes, it is soy for both the chunks and overpour. I did notice some frosting but I feel like it was more hidden with the white overpour and could live with it. (my mom LOVES the frosting and she says the more the better, I personally don't like it) I just do not want to use additives, I just feel like the more things that I add it is taking away from the soy

I did not relized that you had to wait that long before starting your test. I thought I read somewhere to just wait 24 to 48 hours before starting your burn tests. I will remember that and wait longer from now on. Thank-you.

I ended up just melting down the candle and pulling out the wick. The nice chunks are not there anymore, but at least I can work on narrowing down the wick. I do plan on pouring more candles to test once I have a wick narrowed down.

I just feel like the more things that I add it is taking away from the soy
USA is veggie based, as are other additives, like coconut oil, etc. Soy wax is NOT a natural product no matter how much hype you read! It is chemically extracted from soybeans with hexane and then superhydrogenated. You won't be compromising any "purity" by adding a veggie-based additive!! ;)

Some FOs will throw well as soon as the candle is cool enough to burn, but most should cure at least 48 hours to a week for maximum throw, depending on the FO.

I hate that you melted it down without trying a different wick!!! :undecided

What size hex jar is that? Perhaps someone could give you a good starting point for the kind of wicks you are using...

USA is veggie based, as are other additives, like coconut oil, etc. Soy wax is NOT a natural product no matter how much hype you read! It is chemically extracted from soybeans with hexane and then superhydrogenated. You won't be compromising any "purity" by adding a veggie-based additive!! ;)

I have not done a whole lot of research on additives, I'll have to look at the USA. If they are veggie based, I would be more open to it. I do want to stay way from coconut oil since I had people ask if my candles had coconut oil in it because of allergies. Do you know good supplier(s) for the USA that I can start my research at? I will also start doing research on here to see what USA does and other additives. I'm not sold yet, but maybe my research can sway me :smiley2:

I only melted it down to pull the wick out that I glued down. I couldn't get it out with plyers since the tab was there. I have been testing other wicks in it and as soon as I think I have it narrowed down, I was going to pour some more with that wick and start a complete test with that wick.

I am using the 9 oz hex jar. Ecosoya 135 for wax and 1 oz fo with 16 oz of wax. I am thinking (don't know for sure yet since I'm still in the middle of testing) that RRD 40 is the winner, but if somebody has used these wicks and have had good results, let me know. I'm thinking about ordering CD's, but if RRD's work, I'm sticking with them. :yay:

note: how do you get multiple quotes in one post... I can't figure it out, hopefully you can follow my post

I couldn't get it out with plyers since the tab was there.

Sometimes you can still get the wick itself out with pliers and leave the tab glued to the bottom under the wax. If so, it allows you to put a new wick in for an initial test. You just have to pull really hard. I have done it many times if my first wick is too small and peters out right away.

Deb

Once in a while, it just doesn't work. Sometimes the wick will break instead. But its usually worth a try because you already made the candle.

Another trick for a shallow container (less than three inches) is to use an apple corer. You can sometimes remove the wick and the tab and replace it. Refill the hole with the same wax and you're good to go. However, this type of test is only good for narrowing down your wick size. You still have to do a "full test" from top to bottom using a properly wicked container.

Don't you just love testing wicks?:rolleyes2

Deb

no kidding. When I started months ago I was thinking, how hard can this be, just put in a wick, wax and fo and your good to go. (I was one of my idiots who thougth that, I'll admit it :laugh2: )Poured 3 candles (all different fo and dye color) and lit them all. Only 1 of the 3 acutally had a correct wick. It took me 6 months, but I finally got 6 candles that I felt good to sell. (i'm hoping there is a learning curve in there and that it won't take me a month for each new scent)

Now, that I found this group, I have pulled everything and started over. There was just some things that I wasn't testing for in my burn tests that I wish I was. I was hoping to have things ready for a craft show near Mother's day, but now my goal is by the Holiday season (and that still may be pushing it). I may have some wickless stuff ready, but maybe not wicked yet.

I do want to stay way from coconut oil since I had people ask if my candles had coconut oil in it because of allergies.

Since they are not eating the coconut oil and the oil has no proteins in it, it's hard to imagine how it could cause an allergy. Just be sure to put it on the label, like they do peanuts, and let the people who have the problem adjust their purchasing choices. No reason to NOT use a perfectly good additive just because a very few people MIGHT have a reaction!! Personally, I'd worry more about asthmatics having a fatal attack from the chemicals in FOs!!!:rolleyes2

Do you know good supplier(s) for the USA that I can start my research at? I will also start doing research on here to see what USA does and other additives

If you search for USA in the veggie wax forum, you will find a lot of hits. Most suppliers do not offer much information about USA - big secret - but if you search for Top's posts about it, you'll learn about as much as the rest of us know. There was a recent thread about sources for it. :)