Lexan mold liners - good but not perfect

cwayneu

Well after making several batches in our Lexan linen molds, we're not as thrilled as we first were.

We made two slab molds and lined the sides and bottom with 1/32" Lexan. The sides are two L shaped pieces that bolt together with hanger bolts and wing nuts, so they just drop off the base when loosened. The first couple of batches were great. The soap just slide right off the base, and the soap was as smooth as glass.

After a couple more batches, it did not work so well. We are putting the batch in the freezer for a couple of hours. When the wing nuts are taken off, the sides still just drop off nicely. However, the soap and base seem to stick together like a giant magnet. It is very difficult to get them separated. It will slide, but takes a great deal of patients and force. We have tried mineral oil and baby oil, but it does not seem to help.

Overall it is an improvement, but we will need to go back to a foam liner or freezer paper just for the bottom. Every little bit helps. :smiley2:

Sorry that did not work out..

I have did different things to make my molds (Ikea) be better..

I started out with the funky foam,,,and then put silicone on the inside..and that was a dissaster..I had to totally take the mold apart to get my soap out..it was a mess...So I bought new IKea molds, I think I am going to just stick with the funky foam..when using them...

I Did buy a used Upland log mold recently...and I love it..I have only made 2 batches so far..but it unmolded like a dream..and the soap sides and bottom are like glass, they are so smooth..

I am hoping Mytical can still do the co-op for them..I would love to have 1 or 2 more..

I maybe should have posted a picture (sorry). :sad2:

The first one is the mold showing the two L shaped sides with the wing nuts off. The Lexan is hard to see because it is clear like plexiglass. We also use a couple of dow pins through the sides into the base. We don't want the base to accidentally fall out after we have just poured a fresh batch. Not that that has ever happened... :rolleyes2

The second picture is with the new foam base. Like I said, we at least don't have to mess with the sides anymore. :yay:

post-8565-139458454447_thumb.jpg

post-8565-13945845445_thumb.jpg

One last point. We were able to make dividers out of some 1/8" thick Lexan. This works well, just like the sides. For some weird reason, just the Lexan on the base wants to stick to the soap. As long as we use a foam liner on the bottom, the bars come out smooth, crisp, and easy.

The dividers have an added benefit beyond not having to cut the bars. We pour in our base color, swirl in some colors on top, then push the divider in. This pushes the some of swirled colors down at each soap edge, giving more colors to the bar sides. :cheesy2:

post-8565-139458454456_thumb.jpg

post-8565-139458454459_thumb.jpg

I like dividers in slab molds too..

and that red is beautiful..

if you don't mind..what red is it?

Sure. It is Tomato Red, a Liquid Lake dye from TKB. It came premixed.

The FO is Passionate Kisses (a yummy cherry vanilla fragrance)... from Berts. Used a vanilla stabilizer.